Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed files after the backup - file system ext4

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

I noticied some files are not being backed up for an ext4's file system.

when I list the directory and match with the bplist command it shows me a difference up to 15-20 files.

I found something interesting related to virtual boxes:

Has anyone seen this before? The backups are finish good and I already sent a lot of logs to the support.

Regards

• The Linux ext4 file system includes a persistent pre-allocation feature, to guarantee disk space for files without padding the allocated space with zeros. When NetBackup restores a pre-allocated file (to any supported ext file system), the file loses its preallocation and is restored as a sparse file.

• To migrate an ext2 or ext3 file system to ext4: See the instructions under Converting an ext3 file system to ext4 on the following page of the Ext4 wiki:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4

If you do not follow these instructions, data in a newly created ext4 file is not promptly flushed from memory to disk. As a result, NetBackup cannot back up the data of recently created files in the ext4 file system. (The NetBackup snapshot captures the file as zero length.) As a workaround for the file systems that were not correctly migrated, note: Run the Linux sync command on the ext4 file system before starting each backup.

•  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

After having 3 weeks of log. Suppor realized we would need to include a schedule full during the weekends to let netbackup knows the files were changed.

Thank you to everybody for every input.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello OTR,

In my case, I'm not using Vmware policy type. I'm trying to perform the backup with the Standard type.

I also found the first link you sent, but it just applies for vmware.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Seems issue is caused by 'incorrectly migrated filesystems'? It also seems if you have found your own answer: " Run the Linux sync command on the ext4 file system before starting each backup." You can use bpstart_notify script on the client.

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello Marianne

It's a brand new filesystem , it was not migrated.

I ran the sync before the backup and failure still rolling on.

Marianne

...  I already sent a lot of logs to the support.....

Keep on working with Support. 

Insist that your case get escalated to backline.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

After having 3 weeks of log. Suppor realized we would need to include a schedule full during the weekends to let netbackup knows the files were changed.

Thank you to everybody for every input.

Marianne

Are you saying that you did not have a Full schedule in your policy??

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

I had , but not for a weekly basis