cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Backup Images

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
I'm having a strange issue with a particular windows client while attempting to browse through backup images to restore.

Windows 2003 sp1 standard master/media server.
client is win2k sp4

I don't see any recent backup images for a back client that I've been backing up... In fact, the last one that I see is from last year. But in activity monitor I CAN see successful backups for the last five days... So those same images do not register in the backup, archive, restore gui that I'm looking at... Has anyone ran into this issue previously?

Now with More Ferocious Point Delivery Matrix
10 REPLIES 10

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

Are you able to see the catalogs from the catalog view of NB console ?
In the activity monitor what is the retention period shown for the completed backup job ?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Alex,

Examine your client setting of the backup policy and make sure you change the source client accordingly in the backup, archive, restore gui. Just in case someone change the policy setting without you knowing.

DavidParker
Level 6
Hi,
Another thing to look at: the exact client name as it appears in the selection window.
Example, if you used to backup the server under the name: "server.domain.com" and now you back it up as just "server"

Does your client name in the BAR gui match *exactly* with the client name listed in the job details?

$0.02

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
David,
That is what is happening, I believe. I used to backup the server under it's host name. Then it was moved to a difft' domain and I had to change the client to the fully qualified domain name: servername.domain.com

DavidParker
Level 6
Alex,
Thanks for the points! Glad to have been of assistance!

Yeah, the BAR can be quite finiky with its selection criteria; I think it's case sensitive too. Food for thought.

DP

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
The question I have now, though, is how can I view the images that I do have? That's where I'm lost, now that I know what's going on.

DavidParker
Level 6
You should be able to see your current images by changing the 'source client' setting to the current client name.

When you have the BAR window open, go to File -> Specify NetBackup Machine and Policy Type
In there, on the Source Client tab, just type the new cilent name in and click Add, then go find it and click Make Current.
Do the same thing on the Destination Client.

Stumpr2
Level 6
>The question I have now, though, is how can I view the
>images that I do have?

I know, I know that this technote is written for UNIX but the principal remains. What is happenning is that the images are stored under different folders in the image database. If you follow the window equivalent paths you will find folders for each of the names that were/are being used.

The name of a VERITAS NetBackup client has been changed and it cannot browse backup images written under the previous name for a restore
http://support.veritas.com/docs/241717Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Bob, were there more points to award in this thread I would. The remedy outlined in the technote is absolutely correct.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thanks for the followup. No problem on the points.
I already knew there were none to be gained, but I wanted to help not only you but others that may read this postMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump