Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Catalog on Netbackup 6.5.3

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
This is how it happened...

I needed to do a re-installation for the Master server because the NBU services won't start. Looking for a couple of dll files.Before I do, I had copied 3 directories as backup to a different location:

<install_path>\VERITAS\Var
<install_path>\VERITAS\Netbackup\db
<install_path>\VERITAS\Volmgr\database

After NBU Master is reinstalled, I copied back the 3 directories to their original location. Then restarted NBU. Policies, volume pools, tape drives, tape library were all restored back. However, I can't view the list of available images to be restored. (I believe it is called the catalog?)

I checked the ...\Netbackp\db\images directory and found a lot of of image-sort of files in there. Isn't that suppose to be the catalog?

I also tried to do import (twice already) because I could not do bprecover for the catalog from tape. It's giving me a 172 error. I can finish the first phase.. but couldn't do the 2nd phase even if I had specified the correct criterias needed. Like the date/time range.

The first phase import results says that ...

Cannot import client <Client_name>, policy <policy_name> and schedule <schedule_name>, copy 1 and fragment 1 already exist. Skipping image.

second phase promt is :

INF. Found no images matching the selection criteria that were ready for phase 2.

Is there any way i can recover the catalog?
How do I proceed with restoring a needed file from tape?
5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hello
Did You only reinstalled NBU, the backup server has the same hostname as had before?
I am wondering why You can't use the bprecover command to recover from Your catalog backups.
In the catalog backup except the files mentioned by You there is yet another one. Take a look below, this is the ouptut from bpsyncinfo  -U command from my NBU server:
Paths Included:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db
/usr/openv/volmgr/database
/usr/openv/var
nbuserver.com:NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES

Maybe You cant see this because of lack the last line?
was the NBU stopped when You have copied over these three directories as backup to separate directory?

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
try expiring that particular image, and then redo the phase 1 and phase 2 import.

when you say "I can't view the list of available images to be restored", which image you are referring to ? filesystem backups for the master server or catalog? Or for any other client?

-Rajeev

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
hi Quebek,

I'm not sure why bprecover did not work. It is prompting me "cannot specify both raw path and media ID"

Yes NBU services are stopped when the directories were backed-up. It won't even start prior to that.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
Hi Rajeev

1. I cannot expire "the particular image" as I cannot see it.

2. To try to answer your question.. this is what I did..
  • Run the phase 1 import, "Initiate Import" for the client backup images on a tape
  • When phase 1 completes, I go to catalog. Select DUPLICATE, specify the tape I used on phase 1 and the correct date range, then click on search. Nothing shows

quebek
   VIP    Certified
What I meant is why You are unable to receover Your NBU catalog from its hot/cold backup, using bprecover command.
Have You taken the NBU DB catalog backup before reisntalling?