On some servers we are missing some of the netbackup history even though backup has completed successfully the last month. (Yes, have thoroughly checked the activity monitor and the reports).We can only see the two last weeks on one server, just the last week on the other server. The two servers reside in the same policy.
With other servers in different policies, the history line shows up normal. What configuration settings have we missed here? We are using NetBackup 6.0 MP1 for Windows, and the servers in question are all Windows servers.
How about checking the "type" and the "clientname" vs "FQDN.clientname" vs "alias" Netbackup isn't smart enough to check that for you.
On another note...were you able to resolve the item I helped you with last month? http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=56811&messageID=4405691#4405691Message was edited by: Bob Stump
Can you see more valid backup images from the GUI report section? NetBackup Management -> Reports -> Client Backups --use the drop down to select the client and check the box titled " Earliest available"
ALSO.... Perhaps if there is a bug in the GUI junk then try the commandline.
$INSTALL_DIR\Netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpimagelist -U -client <$CLIENTNAME> -d 01/01/01 -e 01/31/06Message was edited by: Bob Stump
We are having the same problem with Veritas. I have opened a case with them. We are also running 6.0 MP1. The tech left me a voice message stating that it is a bug and that it would be fixed with MP2. I am still trying to get a hold of the tech to verify that this is a known bug.
Not to pour salt on a wound but this is why I have not upgraded to 6.0 yet.
There are way to many bugs in this version. I like to wait 3 to 6 months before upgrading and sorry to say let everyone else "suffer" the wrath of "Symantec- Veritas" khan. ONce the dust settles then upgrade.
Remember this; Veritas was taken over by Symantec last year, A "takeover" usually causes stress amongst the employee base hence causing a bad application to be produced.
James, I definitely wish that I would have waited. We have had nothing but problems since upgrading. We had multiple issues with the upgrade to 6.0 and had to wait a few days for MP1 to come out to fix one of our issues. Looks like they are still looking into this problem. The tech did state that their is a reported problem for a similar problem as ours but he thinks that this could be a new problem. Basically it appears that their are 2 databases: 1 database is for the tapes and the other database is for the images. Our monthly tapes still show that they are marked as expiration date - infinity but the image is getting deleted after 2 weeks. It appears that the image is not pulling in the vaulted retention date which is set to infinity.
once I get a resolution I'll post it. But it may be a while before I get a solution. The Tech stated that the image has 2 retention dates associated with it. The first date is from the normal backup and the 2nd retention date is pulled from the vault retention. He said that after the 1st date expires the image should see that their is a 2nd date associated with the image and utilize that date. In my case the 1st date expires every 2 weeks and the 2nd date from the vault image would be set to infinity. He wants me to turn on verbose to high to see what happens during the clean up stage and see if it pulls the 2nd date. I don't think it worked this way in the past. I believe in the past it automatically set the retention date to infinity for the monthly backup. But until he sees the logs, he said that he was at a loss since everything appears to be setup and ran properly. I didn't like his answer about waiting for the image to expire because if this image gets wiped then I'll have to import the tapes one at a time to be able to do the restore. I will send Veritas the logs on Monday Feb 6 for them to examine. Hopefully they will be able to resolve this issue quickly.
James, Our problem isn't as bad as we thought. After having to reboot the server due to Netbackup locking, the missing monthly images showed up in the Netbackup History. The tech wasn't able to explain why this happened but I was glad he seen the images missing through a Webex session before the reboot otherwise he probably would have thought I was on some kind of medication. The images for our monthly vault do show a expired date on the session instead of being set to infinity but I still can do a restore from the images and the expiration date on the tapes is correct. Basically, the clean up stage isn't pulling in the vaulted expiration date. The fix for this will be released in MP2, which basically is a new bpdbm.exe file. According to the tech MP2 will be released sometime in March.