cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixing NetBackup roles with LiveUpdate Server?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Given that we know that:

i) A Master Server can also be a Media Server can also be a Client

ii) A Master Server is the EMM Server

iii) A Master server has to be the BMR Master Server (if one wants to use BMR)

iv) Any Master Server or Media Server or Client can be a BMR Boot Server

v) A Master Server cannot be an OpsCenter Server

...then can anyone confirm these questions:

1) Can a self installed Master (or Master/Media) Server also be a LiveUpdate server?

2) Can an Appliance Master (or Appliance Master/Media) server also be a LiveUpdate Server?

3) Can an OpsCenter Server also be a LiveUpdate Server?

4) Can a BMR Boot Server also be a LiveUpdate Server?

5) Are there any other roles which cannot be mixed?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hmm ...

I think a live update server could go anywhere, not saying however that that is a good idea.

In fact having just checked the manual ...

"A NetBackup LiveUpdate server can be any Windows or
UNIX host."

Not suggesting however, that making the master a live update server would be a good idea ...

M

View solution in original post

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Of all of the server functions that are found in the NetBackup domain the Live Update server has the least impact. I simply is a repository for files and allows for the transfer of upgrade binaries. If you have enough memory and processor power on your OpsCenter server then most certainly us it. Remember the LU server only comes into play when you do upgrades.  

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, it seems that this statement :

"A NetBackup LiveUpdate server can be any Windows or UNIX host."

... is suggestive that anything is supported with anything, providing 'host' referrs to 'any' type of NBU server (client/ media/ master/ Opscenter / BMR boot server ) ....

.... or does it refer to any type of Unix or Windows machine, negating NBU being part of the equation ....

Good point on ports ...

Live update connects over TCP ports 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP) and 443 (HTTPS).

Looking at OpsCenter from HOWTO103557, seems it use whatever it can find is free

The following HTTP and HTTPS ports are checked for availability in the specified sequence and the first available port combination is used by default:

1. 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS)

2. 8181 (HTTP) and 8443 (HTTPS)

3. 8282 (HTTP) and 8553 (HTTPS)

So, it looks like it will be fine ...  - far as I can tell

Martin

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hmm ...

I think a live update server could go anywhere, not saying however that that is a good idea.

In fact having just checked the manual ...

"A NetBackup LiveUpdate server can be any Windows or
UNIX host."

Not suggesting however, that making the master a live update server would be a good idea ...

M

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Of all of the server functions that are found in the NetBackup domain the Live Update server has the least impact. I simply is a repository for files and allows for the transfer of upgrade binaries. If you have enough memory and processor power on your OpsCenter server then most certainly us it. Remember the LU server only comes into play when you do upgrades.  

sdo

Thanks chaps.

I guess I was looking for a general set of rules which would highlight what is possible/supported.

My initial concern right now is... If OpsCenter is serving on port 80, then might a LiveUpdate server instance clash with this, unless either was changed (if indeed possible) to use a different port?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, it seems that this statement :

"A NetBackup LiveUpdate server can be any Windows or UNIX host."

... is suggestive that anything is supported with anything, providing 'host' referrs to 'any' type of NBU server (client/ media/ master/ Opscenter / BMR boot server ) ....

.... or does it refer to any type of Unix or Windows machine, negating NBU being part of the equation ....

Good point on ports ...

Live update connects over TCP ports 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP) and 443 (HTTPS).

Looking at OpsCenter from HOWTO103557, seems it use whatever it can find is free

The following HTTP and HTTPS ports are checked for availability in the specified sequence and the first available port combination is used by default:

1. 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS)

2. 8181 (HTTP) and 8443 (HTTPS)

3. 8282 (HTTP) and 8553 (HTTPS)

So, it looks like it will be fine ...  - far as I can tell

Martin

sdo

Thanks chaps.