cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More media server on netbackup

ducanhct
Level 3
I have a questions. I have 6 physical server with HBA Emulex connected to Tape Libarary have 1 tape drive. On 6 Servers i install media agent. May i add 6 media server on Netbackup for backup every client. I have license san client, but i reading documents about san client it support for Qlogic
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DPeaco
   VIP   

You will also need the SSO (shared storage option) license to share a tape library among several media servers that are connected to your tape library.

Thanks,
Dennis

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DPeaco
   VIP   

You will also need the SSO (shared storage option) license to share a tape library among several media servers that are connected to your tape library.

Thanks,
Dennis

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can, if you have sufficient license keys for each media server.
But sharing a single tape drive between 6 servers does not make any sense. Only one server at a time can use the drive.

Hi Marianne,

Thank to support, but I have a question about data traffic.

For example:

My media server, install agent client and i create job backup and running backup. So what is the data traffic will transfer?

1 - Via Lan

2- Via FC to tape.

Because I view status backup client media server. I see that it is LAN

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Firstly, media server software includes client software (agent). So, nothing else to install.

Data transfer is via FC.
Proof is the bptm process running on the media server (along with bptm logs that shows mounting, positioning, writing to tape directly), OS monitoring via iostat (or similar OS command), as well as monitoring SAN traffic.

You can ignore the reference to LAN transport in the GUI - Symantec/Veritas have never fixed this GUI issue.