cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More questions about netbackup Java

harshman1958
Level 3

In a previous post, I had inquired about removing Java from our Netbackup clients to meet a Mandate on the Java versions installed.  I was told that this could affect support on the product.  On an old Symantec Article i came accross, it mentioned making a change to the nbj.conf file and pointing Java to the OS java.  I was wondering if this was a viable solution.  The document mentioned to

Edit /usr/openv/java/nbjConf file and editing JAVA_PATH=<INSTALLED_JRE_PATH>/bin/java

well, for starters our /usr/openv/javanbjConf file is actually nbj.conf.

secondly there is no entry for JAVA_PATH.  THere is one for INSTALL_PATH which points to /usr/openv/java

Can i add the JAVA_PATH to the nbj.conf file? if so, will it use the OS java?

any assistance would again be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This thread may help answer your question. 

To sumerize, NetBackup comes with a version of java that it uses. But if you are not using the GUI, you do not need the embedded Java. TECH148257 does give the process for Steps to upgrade the JRE bundled with the Java GUI in NBU versions 7.0 or higher to the latest 1.6 JRE update.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Harshman,

-> well, for starters our /usr/openv/javanbjConf file is actually nbj.conf.

That must be a typing mistake. You are right, it's nbj.conf

I would recommend trying it (take a copy of the file before changing it). There is no reason I can think of why it should break backups on the clients, so give it a go on a couple of clients first and if all ok, roll it out.

Document this change in case you have trouble later on so that it can be reversed if necessary!!!

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This thread may help answer your question. 

To sumerize, NetBackup comes with a version of java that it uses. But if you are not using the GUI, you do not need the embedded Java. TECH148257 does give the process for Steps to upgrade the JRE bundled with the Java GUI in NBU versions 7.0 or higher to the latest 1.6 JRE update.