cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount virtual tapes before restore

Maialen_Zufiaur
Level 4

My restore needs a lot of virtual tapes, it would be faster if i mount this tapes befores restore but the question is: ¿Where can I see wich medias needed? can i ask for this with a command?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can see what tapes are needed, in the restore GUI there is a preview buttom. It will tell you the range of tape needed. 

restore_preview.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The mounting of tapes in a VTL does not take any additional time. Because everything is virtual, the mount happens in a split second.

Pre-mounting tapes may slow down everything or may even cause failures as you do not know in which order the tapes will be requested and in which order the NBU resource broker will allocate tape drive resources.

Let NBU do what it is supposed to....

Maialen_Zufiaur
Level 4

I have not explained well.The problema is when the information is not in vtl's because have been migrated to Phisical library.

Netbackup doesn't know it and the vtl+phisical takes time to mount tape, read and and put in the cache

I need to know what virtual tapes are needed for the restore

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can see what tapes are needed, in the restore GUI there is a preview buttom. It will tell you the range of tape needed. 

restore_preview.jpg

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Mariannes suggestion above still applies - YOU do not need to know which tapes to mount. NetBackup will do it

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

As I read the user post - he does. I presume 

I think virtual tapes are written to physical tapes. When he need to do a restore Netbackup pick a virtual tape that often staged to physical tape. If multiple virtual tapes are on one physical - thats where the issue arrives. The user is missing a virtual to physical mapping