cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move data from one Storage Unit to another Storage Unit

veera-lav
Level 3

Hi Folks,

I am trying to move backup data from Disk Storage Unit to another Unit. I tried the below method but the "Duplicate" option is diabled when i right click the backup images.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-storage-unit-data-and-lifecycle-policies-different-data-domain-server

Work Example:

Source: Drive "D:\"   --> SAN mount point (fata disks) and allocated four folders as STU (data consists of Exhange DB,file system etc)

Destination: Drive "G"\   --> New SAN mount point (SAS 15K RPM disks)

Could anyone tell me how to move the data and should preserve all backup policy settings and retention period.

Regards,

Veera

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

For the "incheam-bkup01.ad.csscorp.com_1422808324" image, you are seeing copy 2 because your "Copies" option at the top of the screen is set to "Primary Copy". 

1. Change that option to "Copy 1" and you will see it is still on the D: drive, and the "Primary" field will show "No"
  2. Change that option to "Copy 2" and you will see the copy on the G: drive, and the "Primary" field will show "Yes"

Duplicating an image simply makes another copy, it does not move the image.  And the primary copy is just the copy that Netbackup will use BY DEFAULT when you restore or duplicate it again. 

You have the option in the duplication dialog to set thte new copy as your Primary copy.  If you don't select that, then you will still get a second copy, but any restores will read the original Copy 1.

If you goal is to move the images, you should ensure that Copy 1 (on the D: drive) is set to primary (highlight image in the list, right click, and "Set as Primary".  Then duplicate the images to the new storage unit and set that one as Primary.  Then, after the duplications have completed, bring up the catalog list again and change the "Copies" drop-down at the top of the screen to "Copy 1" and hit the "Search Now" button.  The list will then show you which images on the D: drive are no longer the Primary copy, so you KNOW that those are the ones you can right-click and expire.

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

All looks ok.  What is the problem?  You need to get rid of the copy on D: ?

You may want to try running a bpimagelist with the -U option - it will clearly show you the copy numbers of the fragments, and which copy is primary.

In the GUI locate the correct copy, by changing the 'Copies:' box in the catalog view, fill in as many of the other details as you can - so that you narrow down the list (so that later/soon/next you don't accidentally expire the wrong copy of an image)... then click "Search"... and in the lower panel it should show you the one copy of the one image that you want to expire (but we'll get on to that in a minute)...

...the first thing to do - is to experiment changing the 'Copies:' box and re-searching - until you get used to the concept of 'copies' and the loose association of the concept of 'primary' copy...

...once you are hapy that you understand what you are doing AND that you have the correct copy in the discovered list of backup images (in the lower panel) - then you can right click the image in the lower panel and choose 'Expire' - and that should remove the image from from the D: drive.

Then issue this command:

bpclient -cleanup -allclients

(and wait for the image cleanup job in activity monitor to finish)

The image on D: should dissappear from the folder structure.

Do NOT be tempted to search twice - and expire twice - if the D: image does not disappear, but the the G: image does disappear; then you have expired the wrong copy.  If so, do your duplication again - and try expiring the other copy number.

WARNING - if you are not 100% sure with what you are doing - then seek assistance from a colleague - and work with the colleague - making sure that you both discuss your intended actions and that you both agree on the actions before you perform the action.  As they say... two heads are better than one.

All of this is beginners basic tasks.  Can I ask some questions?  Did you read the manual?  Have you been on a course?  Should you really be administering a production environment with production data if you haven't read the manual, nor been trained?

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The "Duplicate" option is grayed out because, after you have entered the selections on the Catalog screen and displayed the images you want to move, you have to change the "Action:" field near the top of the search windoe from "Verify" to "Duplicate".

To summarize:

1. In the Catalog window, the Action should be left as "Verify" for now, and select the other fields to properly display the images you want to move.
  2. Click "Search Now".
  3. Once the Images have appeared, change the Action to "Duplicate"
  4. Select all the images (Ctrl + A)
  5. Right-click the selected images and the Duplicate option is now available to click, so click on it
  6. Set you duplicate variables for the new location, leaving the Retention field as "no change"
  7. Click on OK

veera-lav
Level 3

Hi Ron,

I tried your steps but still "Duplicate" option is disabled state

atttached screen shot for reference

RonCaplinger
Level 6

What is your setting for maximum number of copies?  If you are at the maximum, that may be the reason you can't duplicate it.  See this discussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplicate-option-disabledgrayed

Check your Master Server Properties and change it to allow one more copy than current number.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You have selected Catalog Backup as policy type? Are those the only backups on this STU? Have you created a STU for the new drive letter where you want to duplicate backups to? Have you checked Global Properties on the master to see what the max numbers of allowed copies are?

veera-lav
Level 3

1. Yes, i have selected catalog backup, i need to move catalog backup (323GB) and exchange DB (1.7TB) also. I'm trying to move catalog first then exchange

2. Yes, STU contains only catalog backup and same as exchange also

3. Yes, i have created folder and STU in new SAN mount point

I have checked it was set "5" on maximum backup copies

watsons
Level 6

Try selecting only the set of catalog backup images (for a single day) and see if the "duplicate" is visible. 

As stated in admin guide:

Right-click the image(s) you want to duplicate and select Duplicate from the shortcut menu.

If you duplicate an online, hot catalog backup, select all child jobs that were used to create the catalog backup. All jobs must be duplicated to duplicate the catalog backup.

veera-lav
Level 3

Thank you, now i can able to duplicate the images. I tried with catalog backup with few images, it was moved from D:\ drive to G:\ drive but still the images files exist on source volume D:\

Will it be delete after duplicate? because when i verify that the images on NB GUI for source D:\ drive, no images found on old STU and it was found on new STU. could you please clarify how this duplicate worked?.

sdo

The backup image was not moved from D: to G:  You have duplicated the copy on D: to a new copy on G:.  You need to 'exipre' the old copy on D:.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Careful to not expire by image id only. You need to specify copy 1 to be expired.

sdo

Marianne's right.

@veera-lav - do you need assistance with expiring the original copy?

veera-lav
Level 3

But when I checked in Catalog GUI, the images were showing in new volume G:\ not in D:\,

only files are exist on D:\ folder.

My question was, the files which will delete automatically or manually need to delete the files on D:\ folder?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Show us an example:

bpimagelist -backupid <bpackupid> -l

VoropaevPavel
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You'll need to run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpimage -cleanup -allclients and after clean up is finished in activity monitor nbdelete --allvolumes from master server. 

sdo

Please do NOT EVER delete backup image files manually - you'll get in to an awfully horrible mess if you do.

In the GUI 'Catalog' function - you have to select which copy you want to view, primary, 1st, 2nd, etc...

N.B. The 'primary' copy can be any copy number.

"What is the relationship between primary and copy numbers?" I hear you ask... Essentially there is no relationship.  This is best described with an example... When I take a backup, the backup image becomes copy 1 and primary.  If I duplicate 1st (primary) copy and select 'make new copy the primary' then I now have two copies, copy 1 and copy 2 (is now primary).  If I duplicate this image again (either from the first or the second), and again select 'make the new copy the primary', then I now have three copies; copy 1, copy 2, and copy 3 (primary).  If I now expire copy 2, then I now have two copies left; copy 1; copy 3 (primary).  Read this again.  And again.  Do you see how 'primary' copy can be any copy number, and do you see how the "copy number" is not related to the "number of copies". HTH.

veera-lav
Level 3
Hi, I have attached screen shots of folder list and bpimagelist cmd output. volumes D and G drives.jpg --> highlighted the files that exist on both old drive D:\, new drive G:\ volumes Catalog_verify_list.jpg --> the backup images "incheam-bkup01.ad.csscorp.com_1422808324 " which is shows in new STU G:\Catalog_Backup_DG600GB bpimagelist.txt --> output of the command "bpimagelist -backupid incheam-kup01.ad.csscorp.com_1422808324 -l"

RonCaplinger
Level 6

For the "incheam-bkup01.ad.csscorp.com_1422808324" image, you are seeing copy 2 because your "Copies" option at the top of the screen is set to "Primary Copy". 

1. Change that option to "Copy 1" and you will see it is still on the D: drive, and the "Primary" field will show "No"
  2. Change that option to "Copy 2" and you will see the copy on the G: drive, and the "Primary" field will show "Yes"

Duplicating an image simply makes another copy, it does not move the image.  And the primary copy is just the copy that Netbackup will use BY DEFAULT when you restore or duplicate it again. 

You have the option in the duplication dialog to set thte new copy as your Primary copy.  If you don't select that, then you will still get a second copy, but any restores will read the original Copy 1.

If you goal is to move the images, you should ensure that Copy 1 (on the D: drive) is set to primary (highlight image in the list, right click, and "Set as Primary".  Then duplicate the images to the new storage unit and set that one as Primary.  Then, after the duplications have completed, bring up the catalog list again and change the "Copies" drop-down at the top of the screen to "Copy 1" and hit the "Search Now" button.  The list will then show you which images on the D: drive are no longer the Primary copy, so you KNOW that those are the ones you can right-click and expire.

sdo

All looks ok.  What is the problem?  You need to get rid of the copy on D: ?

You may want to try running a bpimagelist with the -U option - it will clearly show you the copy numbers of the fragments, and which copy is primary.

In the GUI locate the correct copy, by changing the 'Copies:' box in the catalog view, fill in as many of the other details as you can - so that you narrow down the list (so that later/soon/next you don't accidentally expire the wrong copy of an image)... then click "Search"... and in the lower panel it should show you the one copy of the one image that you want to expire (but we'll get on to that in a minute)...

...the first thing to do - is to experiment changing the 'Copies:' box and re-searching - until you get used to the concept of 'copies' and the loose association of the concept of 'primary' copy...

...once you are hapy that you understand what you are doing AND that you have the correct copy in the discovered list of backup images (in the lower panel) - then you can right click the image in the lower panel and choose 'Expire' - and that should remove the image from from the D: drive.

Then issue this command:

bpclient -cleanup -allclients

(and wait for the image cleanup job in activity monitor to finish)

The image on D: should dissappear from the folder structure.

Do NOT be tempted to search twice - and expire twice - if the D: image does not disappear, but the the G: image does disappear; then you have expired the wrong copy.  If so, do your duplication again - and try expiring the other copy number.

WARNING - if you are not 100% sure with what you are doing - then seek assistance from a colleague - and work with the colleague - making sure that you both discuss your intended actions and that you both agree on the actions before you perform the action.  As they say... two heads are better than one.

All of this is beginners basic tasks.  Can I ask some questions?  Did you read the manual?  Have you been on a course?  Should you really be administering a production environment with production data if you haven't read the manual, nor been trained?

sdo

@veera-lav - Apologies if I sounded a bit harsh - but expiring the wrong copies of the wrong images is the number one simplest and easiest way to loose production backup data - and should never be attempted on a production backup server as part of a learning or training exercise.  If you need to practice, then this should be done with test backup data AND on a test NetBackup system where loss of backup data is inconsequential - so, my recommendation is to not even test with 'test backup data' on a production environment, as it is too easy to expire the wrong backup data.

watsons
Level 6

Duplication is making a copy, not moving. After duplication, you now have a new copy in G:\, but D:\ the source copy will still be there.

There is no need to delete in my opinion unless you want to cleanup space from D:\, just set the primary copy to be the one in G:\ (2nd copy I suppose) then you are fine.