cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move tapes from none pool(hcart2 tapes) to scratch pol(hcart tapes) will cause any problem?

AjayKumarN
Level 4

Hello All,

I have 20 tapes which are delived from offsite hcart2 media type. currently in none pool as per bar code rule set(000 & media type hcart2-->none pool).

i have 20 tapes(hcart) in scratch now. upto now if any new tape comes it will defaulty go to scratch pool and everything going fine. i have not observerd Hcart vs hcard2 tapes up to now.

Now i want to move tapes to scratch pool from none, but these are hcart2 type.

1. Will any problem comes/backup fail if i move hcart2 tapes to sctrach pool which has only hcart tapes upto now?

2. do i need to move tapes manually. will they wont move to scratch pool when shortage in scratch pool?

Please help me in understanding this.

Thanks,

Ajay kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Strange that you have a barcode rule to put regular backup tapes in None pool. This pool is meant for cleaning tapes.

Different tape densities is meant for use in matching drive types, e.g.
LTO4 = hcart
LTO5 = hcart2

You can have any density in any pool.
Only tapes that originally came from Scratch will be returned to Scratch.
Tapes in None pool will not automatically be moved to Scratch. You need to do it manually as a once-off. From there on, the tapes will go back to Scratch when data expired.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Strange that you have a barcode rule to put regular backup tapes in None pool. This pool is meant for cleaning tapes.

Different tape densities is meant for use in matching drive types, e.g.
LTO4 = hcart
LTO5 = hcart2

You can have any density in any pool.
Only tapes that originally came from Scratch will be returned to Scratch.
Tapes in None pool will not automatically be moved to Scratch. You need to do it manually as a once-off. From there on, the tapes will go back to Scratch when data expired.

Thank you Marianne,

i moved tapes to scratch manually.

i have 13 tape drives, 12 drives type-hcart and 1 is hart2.(Drive-8)

Please correct me if i am wrong on below statement.

hcart2 tape will only goto Drive-8 tape drive. it's not possible for h-2 tape mount in other 12 drives.

Because if tape drive is Hcart and tape is hcart2, i read will not support such kind

Marianne
Correct.
hcart tapes will only be mounted in hcart drives.
hcart2 tapes will only be mounted in hcart2 drives.