cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Existing NBU Jobs to SLP

JedTheHead
Level 2

Hello!  Quick question about NBU SLP:

I have MANY backup jobs / policies configured for non-SLP fixed retention to disk.  I have full backups of all the data to disk storage and nightly incrementals that have been running for two weeks.  I want to enable SLP polices for all these jobs as I now have additional storage I can duplicate to.  If I create the SLP policy and change the policy storage from the disk to SLP, do I have to run full backups again (or wait for them to run per the existing rentention schedule) for SLP to duplicate the data, or will the change in the policy enable it the next time they run per schedule?

Asked another way: The full backups won't happen per existing schedule for two more weeks.  When I enable SLP for these existing jobs, will the existing full backup from two weeks prior and all incrementals be duplicated?  Or... will only the new incrementals be duplicated until the next scheduled full backup runs? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Only the incremental schedules will run, and therefore the only backups that will be duplicated via SLP.

If you have different retentions for Full and Incr, remember to create different SLPs.

Select the matching SLP in each of the schedules.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Only the incremental schedules will run, and therefore the only backups that will be duplicated via SLP.

If you have different retentions for Full and Incr, remember to create different SLPs.

Thank you Marianne!

Could you please expand on these statements for me? 

-
-

...especially the second one. 

Thank you!

Marianne
When you change the STU in a policy to SLP, you can no longer select a retention level in the schedules.
The retention is now determined by the SLP.

So, if you have different retentions for Full and Incr, you need to create different SLPs (e.g Inc and Full) with backup and duplication retentions.
In the schedule, select 'override Policy STU' and then select the relevant SLP.

That makes perfect sense.  Thank you!!