cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving NetBackup Installation path from C drive to D drive

rmcbackupteam
Level 3

Hello Experts,

We have a Windows master server (Netbackup 8.1) where in it has C, D & F drive. Netbackup is installed on C drive and MSDP configured on F drive. We are using this server as Replication target server. Since the number of clients got increased, C drive space is getting full. So I want to move Netbackup from C drive to D drive.

W have below options to do but we are not sure whether it will work or not. Please help.

Option: 1) We googled that client images can be moved locally to D drive from C drive. But I had nearly 100 clients and so movement of 100 clinets as per below link is not a good idea to me. So my question here is that is there any way to move all client backup images from db/images to D drive?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100002250

Option: 2) We are thinking of moving veritas installation from C to D and updating the below parameters in windows registry. But we are not sure whether this will work and also we would like to know is there any way to modive the Netbackup Services in services.msc to update the exact .exc file path for service to start

computer\hkey_local_machine\software\veritas\netbackup\currentversion

DB Data --> C:\Program Files\Veritas\\db\data to \new_path\
INI Directory --> C:\Program Files\Veritas\\Netbackup to \new_path\
INSTALLDIR --> C:\Program Files\Veritas\ to \new_path\
LicenseFile --> C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup \var\license.txt
Log Directory --> C:\Program Files\Veritas\\Netbackup\logs

Option: 3) If it is not possible to move entire C drive, is there any way to move only the Netbackup DB directories other than option 1.

Option: 4) If 2nd,3rd options are not possible, do we have to uninstall Veritas from C now and install as new in D drive and perform the catalog recovery to D drive. If yes, please help us with the steps. As per our understanding, Netbackup catalog will be recovered to same location.

I appreciate your quick responce on this post. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Option 5

Make C bigger

Option 6

• Present a new lun/disk to the server and mount it as X:.
  • Setup robocopy (or anything else you trust) to copy all the folders under db/images to X:
  • stop netbackup and do final incremental copy for db/images to X:
  • Start NetBackup, run one final catalog backup
  • Stop NetBackup
  • delete everything under db/images
  • Unmount X: and remount it on  db/images
  • Start NetBackup

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Option 5

Make C bigger

Option 6

• Present a new lun/disk to the server and mount it as X:.
  • Setup robocopy (or anything else you trust) to copy all the folders under db/images to X:
  • stop netbackup and do final incremental copy for db/images to X:
  • Start NetBackup, run one final catalog backup
  • Stop NetBackup
  • delete everything under db/images
  • Unmount X: and remount it on  db/images
  • Start NetBackup

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Riaan is correct.

There used to be a TN for moving NBU to a different drive.  It was a good few years back, but if I remember correctly it was removed as under certain conditions it caused issues with the catalog backup or restore (can't remember which).  So I'll go as far as saying it's not supported.  It could be done via the catman tool, but this is a consultant process (chargeable) so making C:\ bigger is the better option.

It is always best to not install software (or major software) on the drive that is running the OS in the first place ...

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes Martin, that technote was removed after the introduction of the EMM (the introduction of the database made it more complicated that just change the registry)

Hi Riaan,

Thank you for the support. We are planing to extend the C drive.