cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving NetBackup Media Server to new hardware

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Is there any technotes on moving a NetBackup media server to new hardware as part of a server refresh activity?

I have two 8.0 physical media servers currently running on servers that are out of warranty and soon to be replaced with new hardware. I also want to upgrade the Windows OS to 2016.

Both the media servers have MSDPs which is presented to each server via a SAN and the MSDP dedupe database is also stored on the MSDP volume.

Can I build the servers on the new hardware (running Windows 2016) using the same identity as the old media servers and just present the SAN volume to the new servers using the same drive letter? or are there additional steps I need to consider?

What if I wanted to change the servernames and IP addresses of the new media servers?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
3 REPLIES 3

quebek
   VIP    Certified

CadenL

Hi

Many thanks - I hadn't seen that. It's good info and I guess something that would work for me.

I was kind of hoping that I could do it in a way that would be transparant to NetBackup.

For example. if the server had simply died and I built one the same (same identity) then I guess I wouldn't need to delete the storage server and disk pools and import from scratch - the MSDP and associated database would survive as they're on a SAN. So I just need to re-install and configure NBU then present back the MSDP volume?

I was also hoping it would be possible to install Windows 2016 on the replacement server rather than having to stick to Windows 2008 R2 (as support on this is becoming a constraint). I now see the need to install NBU 8.0 on the rebuilt server and then do an inplace upgrade to 8.1.1 if I use this approach as presenting an msdp that was created on 8.0 back to rebuilt media server running 8.1.1 wouldn't be a good idea.

so I guess in summary - I'm asking if I had to rebuild a media server (due to it failing) could I install Windows 2016 as the OS if I kept everything else the same  - same identity and same version of NBU.

I'll take a closer look at the Big and Little Endians (whatever they are!) and I've noted the bit that says "Veritas recommends that the new computer use the same operating system as the old computer." so that's the bit I'm hoping will be fine just between later versions of (effectively) the same OS.

But thanks again for the fast response.

CadenL

I think even if I was doing a DR recovery of a failed media server from bare metal, I'd still need to follow all the steps in the technote. So I think that needs to be my approach to this.

Thanks again.