cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Netbackup Master Server to a new domain

Ultra317
Level 3

Our current domain is being split in two and will have a one way trust coming from the new domain to the old domain. The old domain hosts our current Netbackup Master/Media server and in order to backup both domains (due to the one way trust) I'd need to move the Master/Media server to the new domain. I know changing the name of the Master server is not recommended so I'm quite happy to leave it as it is, I just need to remove from old domain and add it to the new.

I cannot remember if I used the FQDN when I built the Netbackup server, which I know may prevent me being able to simply change domains.  So I ran the nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose command (see results below), can anyone tell me if I used the FQDN or not?  If not, is there a best practice guide available to guide me through the domain change process?  Many thanks.

NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.5.0.5
The following hosts were found:
backup00
        MachineName = "backup00"
        FQName = "backup00.abc123.co.uk"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = server (6)
backup00.abc123.co.uk
        ClusterName = ""
        MachineName = "backup00.abc123.co.uk"
        FQName = "backup00.abc123.co.uk"
        GlobalDriveSeed = "VEND:#.:PROD:#.:IDX"
        LocalDriveSeed = ""
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineFlags = 0x6
        MachineNbuType = master (3)
        MachineState = active for tape and disk jobs (14)
        NetBackupVersion = 7.5.0.5 (750500)
        OperatingSystem = windows (11)
        ScanAbility = 5

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You will not able to move the Master to a new domain easily. Part of that name change will be the domain name. To move it over will require the assistance of a certified consultant from a Symantec Consulting Partner. See TECH31385

Ideally you want to have a brand new master server for this domain and keep your old one with the old domain. You will then want to use AIR replication to the new domain. This will cleanly move images between the 2 that you could then restore on the new domain when needed. Look at HOWTO68378 for the overview of the AIR setup process.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your master was installed as FQDN (although shortname exists as additional server):

backup00.abc123.co.uk

This means that you will need consulting services to change the hostname.

For this exact reason I always reccommend to install NBU master as shortname and add domain as alias. 
This way alias can simply be removed and added as new domain.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You will not able to move the Master to a new domain easily. Part of that name change will be the domain name. To move it over will require the assistance of a certified consultant from a Symantec Consulting Partner. See TECH31385

Ideally you want to have a brand new master server for this domain and keep your old one with the old domain. You will then want to use AIR replication to the new domain. This will cleanly move images between the 2 that you could then restore on the new domain when needed. Look at HOWTO68378 for the overview of the AIR setup process.

Marianne
Level 6

Your master was installed as FQDN (although shortname exists as additional server):

backup00.abc123.co.uk

This means that you will need consulting services to change the hostname.

For this exact reason I always reccommend to install NBU master as shortname and add domain as alias. 
This way alias can simply be removed and added as new domain.

Ultra317
Level 3

Thank you both for your quick responses.

The AIR process looks promising but we backup to tape as well as disc, and it's these tape images stored offsite that we would want to restore if required. Is there a way we would be able to restore tape images on the new domain master server using this AIR process?  I presume not seeing as the server hostname would have changed.

I have requested a quote for some Symantec consultancy if case it's required.

Many Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

AIR will not help in this instance.

Consulting will be the 'cleanest' solution.

Ultra317
Level 3

Thanks for letting me know Marianne I'll proceed with the consultancy,