cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Robot Control

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

Running Netbackup 7.0.1 currently, and need to decommission a media server.

Drives are no big deal, but this media server has a SAN-attached VTL robot control assigned to it.

How much of a nightmare is it to swing this to a different media server?

My plan is to zone up the robot to the new media server, unzone it from the old, and run the device wizard. Will that create a new storage unit, or is Netbackup smart enough to understand that this is the robot control for an existing storage unit, just on a different server?

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the drives will remain on the existing server  then you should be able to zone in the new one, run the wizard and once it has been configured just go to the devices - robots section and change the control host in the properties of the robot to be the new server (may have to do it for all servers using that robot)

If the current server will no longer have access to it then move all tapes to stand alone, delete the drives, delete the robot, rezone then run the wizard

Hope this helps

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use nbdecommission to remove old media server along with devices and STU and assign media/image ownership to new media server.

'is Netbackup smart enough to understand that this is the robot control for an existing storage unit, just on a different server? '

No. After removing devices for old media server, you will have to run device config wizard and recreate robot and drives on new media server as well as Storage Unit.  Inventory robot and remember to update STU in all policies

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

Sounds like the best way might be a staged approach?

1. Swing the robot control to a different server.

2. Decommission the media server.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sounds good.

I doubt that changing robot control will be as easy as changing robot properties (I have never tried that).

You will probably have to delete robot and scan again. You need to be aware that NBU could possibly add it back as a new robot number, which could affect ALL storage unit configs using this robot.

Instead of scanning, you could try and manually add the robot using the GUI and see if you can select/specify same robot number as before. This will only be possible if all reference to robot on old server is completely removed from NBU databases.

DEJohn
Level 4

You will have to re-configure drives and robot in Netbackup for the new media server but If it was me and the new server had same PCIslot as old one I would just move the HBA over to the new server and plug fiber backinto same switch ports. No re zoning nesseary except maybe naming convention on your zone policies.

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

DONE!

Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Killed off all running backups.
  2. Zoned robot control up to the new media server and configured sg driver
  3. Unzoned robot control from old media server and verified it wasn't visible with scan utility
  4. Deleted the robot being moved (3) from robots list in GUI
  5. Ran the wizard
  6. Inventoried the robot on the new server

Since I deleted robot 3 the new robot came in as 3, so all the policies, media, everything, came back.