cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Robotic control host from one media server to other.

Sahil_Joshi
Level 4

Hi,

I am facing problem while changing my robotic control host.

In our enviornment we have a master/media server on HP-Ux, 2 tape libraries are connected to it. I did zoning of the robotic arm with another media server (on HP-UX). That Mediaserver is able to detect the changer at OS level, since changer is visible after running ioscan -fnc autoch command.

I deleted all my tape drives and robotic definations from the current master/media server.But while running device configuration in Netbackup for new media server it is not detecting the robot.

So, can someone help me, so that my activity is successfull.

Thanks and Regards,

Sahil

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See the HP-UX chapter in Device Config Guide.

Follow the steps under Configuring robotic controls.

NBU 6.5: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52800

NBU 7: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127069

Sahil_Joshi
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

I went thur the document, it says procedure for manually creating passthru drivers,i.e sctl files, but the media server being an hp-ux v3 system the files are  automatically created in it.

Any command  or steps in Netbackup that i can follow to force netbackup to use new media server as a robotic host?

RiaanBadenhorst

If you run sgcan on the media server does it list the changer and the tape drives?

Marianne

DFS or legacy device names?

The NBU 7 device config guide says the following:

"When HP-UX 11i v3 is installed, both persistent DSFs and legacy device files are created on the system.

You can use persistent DSFs on some HP-UX servers and legacy device files on others. However, if you do not use persistent DSFs, you must configure devices manually in NetBackup."

If you use persistent DSF, NBU needs the robot name in this format: /dev/rchgr/autoch#

Please post output of : /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

Sahil_Joshi
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

Finally it done. I was facing issue with the persistant DSF's. So i changed the OS to HP-UX V2, manually created the DSF file and then configured the robots.

I still don't know why it didn't work with HP-UX V3. We are checking the same with HP.

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi Sahil,

Good to know it is done..you can also check with symantec , if v2 is supported as robotic host there is no reason why v3 should not be supported, may be some tweaking with confguration part and creating devices with mknod and mksf may help