Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving VxMS to different path

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

Most of the time, our backup admins create VxMS logging  and forget to disable it; and we end up filling up the C "OS" partition. Atlast, no one wants to accept the ownership for what happened. So we decided to change the VxMS logging directory path.

Changing just the log directory path in registry is not helping to move the logs to other drive, as all supported files are available in C. Hence, we moved whole directory "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS" to alternate path "E:\VxMS" and modified the same in VxMS registry path and test the logs getting created in new path. So we have prevented the OS partition getting dumped by this change, but is this recommended?

Is there any way just to move the logs of VxMS to a different directory path instead of moving whole VxMS directory?

I can use NTFS mount point for VxMS directory, but poor thing is i dont have any unallocated disk left.

VMware Backup Host: NBU 7.5.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2 EE.

Best Regards,

Rizwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Rizwan,

We are planning on adding a feature in a future version to configure the VxMS log location.  We are also changing the default path to NetBackup\logs\vxms.  In regards to moving the VxMS, try the following:

Copy the contents of the VxMS folder from:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS

To the location of your choice.

Modify the following VxMS registry so that the install path for VxMS is seen as the new location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\VxMS\InstallDir64

Please note there is a \ at the end of the path.  For exampe the default is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\

If I was moving this to E:\VxMS.  The registry would be:

E:\VxMS\

That is the registry for a x64 system, a 32 bit system does not show the 64 at the end of the path.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Rizwan,

We are planning on adding a feature in a future version to configure the VxMS log location.  We are also changing the default path to NetBackup\logs\vxms.  In regards to moving the VxMS, try the following:

Copy the contents of the VxMS folder from:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS

To the location of your choice.

Modify the following VxMS registry so that the install path for VxMS is seen as the new location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\VxMS\InstallDir64

Please note there is a \ at the end of the path.  For exampe the default is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\

If I was moving this to E:\VxMS.  The registry would be:

E:\VxMS\

That is the registry for a x64 system, a 32 bit system does not show the 64 at the end of the path.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

ED,

Thanks for your input!! We had tried this already and it works as i mentioned in my initial post. As you have confirmed the same; I believe that its recommended, and would not harm my VMware backups in future?