Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Team,

We are planning to migrate the Netbackup server from old hardware to new Hardware. But we are planning to change the new server name and also planning to upgrade the Netbackup version ( from 7.5.7 to 7.7.1). Please guide me what are all steps I need to take care before doing this.

Note: - There are no media server on current Netbackup server. It has only local disk storage ( 4 TB). The new one have 16 TB by MSDP.

Both are same OS version ( Red hat Linux )

Thanks for your advance help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

You cannot change server name without Veritas Consulting involvement.  That is not a do-it-yourself task.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

You cannot change server name without Veritas Consulting involvement.  That is not a do-it-yourself task.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Will,

Thanks for your  reply. Could you please confirm, is it possible to migrate or not

Thanks

You can migrate to newer version (might as well go to the latest, 7.7.3) while keeping the same hostname. 

See Veritas SORT for upgrade checklist: https://sort.veritas.com/

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Will,

I want change hostname as well. Please confirm the same.

Thanks

Answered above - no, you cannot do that. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Will is 100% right. Changing a master server hostname can only be done by a Veritas consulting partner.
See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000026956

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for comment here. I have already gone through the link which you pasted. But there are no links how to do. Any how, now I am going to raise a case with Veritas.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. There are no links because this is not a DIY job. 

Extract from the TN:

VERITAS has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of VERITAS consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the VERITAS technical support organization.

VERITAS consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified VERITAS consultant or Consulting Partner.  

So, veritas Support cannot help you. 

You need to contact your local reseller or Veritas sales office to put you in contact with a catman consultant.

vivashki
Level 2

another words, all the mentioned options are available, but you need to pay for them, right?

Hi @vivashki 

You should reallt start a new thread rather than tacking on to a previously resolved issue. 

When you start the thread - describe some more details around what you are wanting to do. There may be options available that do not require Veritas services (not many mind). 

Cheers
David