cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a Media server from one master server to another master server

sclind
   VIP   

I currently have a Windows 2012 master server (NB 8.0) with a Windows 2008 media server attached (also NB 8.0) whose sole function is to perform VMware Backups.

Due to a tape volume/'out of balance' condition I need to 'move' the media server to be underneath another master server (which is AIX and also NB 8.0). (The other master server has more available tapes)

My plan is to use nbdecommission to decomm the media server and reassign all its tapes to the master server. These tapes will expire within the next 14 days. I will copy the relevant policies from the old master to the new master server.

As far as then attaching the windows media server to its new [AIX] master server, am I better off removing the NB 8.0 software from the windows media server and then reinstalling? Or can adjust a regkey or something so it now points to the new master server? Anyone have any experience here?

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I recommend a re-install - media server installation is quickly done. 

If you move the software, you may end up in looking in all sort of config files, as why command/operation x fails.

Best Regards
Nicolai

sclind
   VIP   

Thank you.   The more I thought of it the more I agree with you.