cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Moving from a Windows Media server to a Linux Media server

cyberninja
Level 6

Hello,

At where I work, we have had a lot of departments merging. First we were backing up just Solaris 10 servers, then the Windows team wanted to have their servers backed up as well, on NetBackup. They then moved their servers to VMs on ESXi hosts. This meant that they need a Windows server to backup their VMs. Then development department stood up a Windows media server to backup Linux VMs. This add another media server to our network environment. Development just merged with our section so now we have 3 media servers that can only backup their own clients. I want to add another Linux media server that will be able to backup all the Solaris 10, Windows and Linux servers. I will not be shutting down the other media servers right away. The main purpose is to provide Redundancy to the NetBackup environment. I'm not plaining to shutting down any of the original three media servers until I
build a second Linux server and all the offsite images have been expired.

What I'm really asking for is advice, on setting up the Linux server to backup all the physical and virtual servers. Which Linux distro to you recommend to install the media server on? We use RHEL and SLES. I have been reading some of the documentation on this site but I still not sure about what I need to do. I'm not sure if there is any additional steps I need to do on the Linux server.

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Just go to sort an fill in the details of the OS you want to use. Its really just your preference, both rhel and sles will work fine.

https://sort.symantec.com/checklist/install#report

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Just go to sort an fill in the details of the OS you want to use. Its really just your preference, both rhel and sles will work fine.

https://sort.symantec.com/checklist/install#report

cyberninja
Level 6

Thanks you. I'm looking at the checklist generator, now.