cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving media from TLD to Standalone

sabby
Level 4
Certified

Does logically moving of media from TLD to Standalone can prevent NBU from writing backups on it? If yes, what is the reason behind since its only logical and the tape is still present in the library physically.

I have yesterday moved 3 tapes from TLD to Standalone before the backup window starts and today morning I saw that NBU still had used those tapes.

Thanks in advance.

Sahil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to physically eject the tapes to ensure that NBU and robot inventory is the same.

If someone Inventoried the robot after you have moved it to Standalone, NBU would be updated again with actual location. What does NBU media GUI show this morning as far as media location is concerned?

Another way to prevent more backups to tapes is to suspend the media - either from media GUI (right-click, Suspend) or from cmd: bpmedia -suspend -m <media-id>.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6

Best to physically eject the tapes to ensure that NBU and robot inventory is the same.

If someone Inventoried the robot after you have moved it to Standalone, NBU would be updated again with actual location. What does NBU media GUI show this morning as far as media location is concerned?

Another way to prevent more backups to tapes is to suspend the media - either from media GUI (right-click, Suspend) or from cmd: bpmedia -suspend -m <media-id>.

sabby
Level 4
Certified
The media location of those 3 media ID's was TLD in morning (which means that robot had been inventoried..right?) Thus, NBU will not use those tapes that are in standalone even if they are physically present in library until and unless the robot is not inventoried.

Marianne
Level 6

Correct.

As I've said - best to physically eject or suspend media.