Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving tape from Daily pool to scratch pool

cnx_anup
Level 4

I have NBU 7.6.0.4.
Backing up just 2 client machines.
Device connected is a stand alone tape drive.
Yearly backup is scheduled on 25th Dec.
Local facilities is going for vacation from 24th. Hence on 23rd morning, I excluded daily backup for 23rd and 24th and inserted a scratch tape for the yearly backup.
I missed to exclude daily catalog backup.
Today is 24th and when I verified the tape obviously I saw catalog backup occupied the tape and the media pool is changed to DAILY.
Now I have to expire the catalog image from the tape.

On NBU gui, Catalog >> Choose the tape >> List the catalog images >> right click and expire.

I went to reports >> Tape reports >> Images on tape Shows as below.
8.JPG

I went to reports >> Tape reports >> Tape contents Shows as below.
7.JPG

How Image on tape differs from tape contents ?

I went to media, right click and change pool to scratch. It said "Cannot change media pool of assigned media"

Later I tried this blog: http://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/how-expire-backup-images-move-media-scratch-pool which helped me to change the media to scratch tape.

Now when I check tape contents still it shows the same results.

My second question is, since I'm using a stand alone tape drive, is there a way I can set the tape drive not to eject the existing tape out if the desired media is not in the drive ?

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Expiring backups deletes from image catalog so that tape can be overwritten. It does not delete/erase from tape. That is why Media Contents report still shows the data on tape. Please try to motivate for a small tape library - trying to manage an Enterprise backup product with Standalone tape drive is an absolute nightmare.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is an "do not eject standalone drives' option setting in EMM, I'll have to look up the syntax.

It's something along the lines of

nbemmcmd -changesetting <option>=1 -masterserver <master_server_name> -emmserver <emmserver name>

Will_Restore
Level 6

roger that,

nbemmcmd  -changesetting -do_not_eject_standalone 1  -machinename <masterserver>

Marianne
The 'do_not_eject...' option for standalone is normally default, but only applies to action taken by NBU after completion of backup.

bbahnmiller
Level 4

Also note that catalog backup tapes are special. Normal image and tape expiration processes do not work for those. You have to unassign the tape and label it. Please check their tech note on this:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028235

Bryan

Marianne
Bryan That TN applies to cold catalog backup for pre-7.x. Only hot catalog backup using CatalogBackup pool is supported as from 7.x where tapes expire normally like any other backup tape.

bbahnmiller
Level 4

Thanks for the correction Marianne. (I haven't used catalog backup tapes since 6.5...)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for delay ...

nbemmcmd -changesetting -machinename <master server name> -DO_NOT_EJECT_STANDALONE yes