cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MultiMaster Windows with Linux

jlee43
Level 3
Would like to know if it is possible to have a Netbackup Windows Master server working along side a Linux Master server.  If this is possible, is there any documentation on configuration process?  Also, would this setup allow Baremetal restores to work on both a Linux and Windows OS?  Appreciate your help all.  Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6

jlee43 wrote:
Would like to know if it is possible to have a Netbackup Windows Master server working along side a Linux Master server.  If this is possible, is there any documentation on configuration process?  Also, would this setup allow Baremetal restores to work on both a Linux and Windows OS?  Appreciate your help all.  Thanks!!

What is it you want to do?
What does "working along side" mean?

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
You could.  However, you would have to have two separate backup domain environments.  That is, the two master servers couldn't really share the backup load like a Master Server and a Media Server could.  Bob Stump's asked the appropriate question, however.

Even if you ran two linux master servers or two windows servers it would be the same scenario.  Are these two servers also media servers as well? 

jlee43
Level 3
Hey,
Ultimately we want to be able to do a Bare Metal Restore for both Windows and Linux.  The current environment has a master windows server and a windows media server backing up both Windows and Linux clients.  I was told that for this setup, BareMetal would only work for the windows side not for linux.  Due to this information, we were thinking about possibly having two Master/media servers, one Linux running all the Linux client backups and a Windows running all the Windows client backups, hoping that this setup would allow us to run baremetal Linux to linux, and windows to windows all on the same domain.  Ultimately wanting to be able to do BMR on both environments without having two seperated Netbackup servers.  Also, we have one tape library (dell powervault)with 4 drives.  Hope this clears a little bit up.  Thanks for your help. 

Stumpr2
Level 6
I do not know much about BMR and I cannot verify that 1 server can provide for both Linux and windows. However, I do not understand why anyone would create a product that would NOT service both.
Did you try searching the BMR forum?

jlee43
Level 3
I thought the same way too about Netbackup working for both environments in every way, but to my surprise, the Symantec Netbackup Tech I talked with said that BMR can only work on the same platform as the master(linux to linux and windows to windows).  This was odd since it can backup both environments from any OS.  Possibly dealing with kernel issues since BMR is dealing with a complete ground up restore to a server.  Well, I'm waiting on a reply back from Symantec support about a similar question, hopefully I'll get some answers.  Thanks!

Stumpr2
Level 6
Did you post to the BMR forum?