cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple backup policies failing status 96

ronak_padhya
Level 3

I am getting the following status for the failling policies.

1: (96) unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is a common mistake - users sometimes do not understand the difference between Volume expiration and Image expiration.

Volume expiration is not added by NBU - a user does it when media can no longer be used - faulty, too old, etc... 

Image Expiration for media is set by NBU. This is the expiration date of the image on media with longest expiration date. This is the date when media will become Availavle to be overwritten.

The 2 values can be seen with:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid 9611L4

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This mens youre robot is out of avaiable tapes in the required format. Remaining tapes are either full, another density, another retension, frozen.

Please run the avaiable_media script :

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media

Please see:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid=1A&question_box=status+code+96

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38818

ronak_padhya
Level 3

This is the output. It shows i have media available in the volume pool.

Pool pool

9610L4   HCART   TLD      0       11      -       1 4562330040       FULL
9612L4   HCART   TLD      0       13      -       1 4526892987       FULL
9617L4   HCART   TLD      0       15      -       1 4553151371       FULL
NU00L1   HCART   TLD      0       24      -       1          0     FROZEN
9611L4   HCART   TLD      0       12      -       -          -  AVAILABLE
9613L4   HCART   TLD      0       14      -       -          -  AVAILABLE

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I can't tell you whats wrong remote - I can just guide you in the righ direction. 

Try out the status 96 wizard

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid=1A&question_box=status+code+96

Some of my own notes:

• Do you have a scratch pool defined ? (else create one)
  • Check defined storage unit and densitys are matching.
  • whats the number of volume pools and retension 
    • Each volume pool and retension is going to request a media for itself. 
    • Count each and do the math
    • If you got more than one volume and and a couple of retension periods - thats way. Two free tapes is not enough

Marianne
Level 6
How long ago did the backups fail? It is possible that the bottom 2 tapes got expired in the meantime making them Available. If you rerun the failed backup now, it will probably be successful. If not, use the wizard in Nicolai's post to trace location, density, policy attributes and schedules for pool, STU name and density and drive density. Best to run available_media every day before backups start.

ronak_padhya
Level 3

And now if i re-run the backups it fails with the following error.

"1: (73) bpstart_notify failed "

And running the available media script i find out that, the media which had the PREVIOUS state FROZEN

Pool pool

NU00L1   HCART   TLD      0       24      -       1          0     FROZEN

Is NOW moved to the SCRATCH POOL with state AVAILABLE

ScratchPool pool

NU00L1   HCART   TLD      0       24      -       -          -  AVAILABLE.

Can you please explain this behaviour? And does it happen automatically or some manual procedure has happened?

Steven_Moran
Level 4
Accredited Certified

To your first question:  Another possible reason why volumes listed as Available won't be used is if they have exceeded their configured maximum number of mounts or if they were assigned an expiration date.  If either of those occur, the normal NBU interfaces won't bring that to your attention and EMM will simply not use those volumes for writing.   I always reccommend to my students that they alter the columns of the Media section in the Windows/Java consoles to show both current and max mounts and to keep an eye on those numbers.  The available_media script does not show mount numbers.

To your second question:  It seems like there might be something else on that formerly frozen tape.  When NBU mounts it, it finds whatever that something else is (non-NBU formatting, mis-matched Media ID, etc), and freezes the tape without writing anything on it.  I suspect the cleanup process notices that there are no valid images on that otherwise assigned piece of media and deassigns it, and if it was originally in the Scratch Pool before use, it would be moved back there.  Your Job Details for the job that froze the tape should give you a reason why that was frozen, or check your media logs report.

It has a different Media ID pattern than the other volumes you've listed, suggesting a different barcode pattern, suggesting it was not added to your environment at the same time as the other tapes.  What's the history behind that tape?  Was is used somewhere else before winding up in your library?  If there isn't anything on that tape that you care about, I'd run a Label job on that volume (Media section, find that volume, right-click and choose Label, make sure you UN-CHECK the check-tape-before-labeling safety box or the label process will be aborted if there IS something on the tape that NBU won't normally overwrite)

Steven_Moran
Level 4
Accredited Certified

And I totally missed the "bpstart_notify" error.

That is the name of a script located at the client machine (should be in <installpath>\netbackup\bin)  that executes prior to the actual "backup" itself, often to stop services so application data files can be backed up without those services complaining.  Whoever created that script  needs to look into why it isn't working.(assuming it isn't you, one would hope the script was created by an admin at that client)

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The bpstart_notify script must run silently - and must not generate any output to either stdout and/or stderr.

Any output confuses the module of NetBackup which runs the script - which is a classic cause of status 73.

Marianne
Level 6
Eject NU00L1 from the robot and have a good look at it. My gut-feel is that this is a cleaning tape and not a data tape. You need a separate barcode rule for cleaning tapes.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Frozen tapes do not unfreeze by itself. Sure a colleague didn't make some changes ?

ronak_padhya
Level 3

Marianne yes the NU00L1 which is present in the Scratch Pool right now is a cleaning tape.

What does it mean?

And when i check in the GUI for the particular pool the available medias are not assigned any media owner. Should i be worrying about that? Because i assigned them the owner some days back but again they are unassigned.

ronak_padhya
Level 3

And this is the full error which i am getting. There is only one drive for Netbackup. I dont think that should be an issue because if its not available then i guess the job gets queued.

04/08/2015 12:58:05 - awaiting resource server-hcart-robot-tld-0. No drives are available.
04/08/2015 14:05:30 - awaiting resource server-hcart-robot-tld-0. Maximum job count has been reached for the storage unit.
04/08/2015 14:05:30 - Error nbjm (pid=965) NBU status: 96, EMM status: No media is available
unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available  (96)

Marianne
Level 6

.... NU00L1 which is present in the Scratch Pool right now is a cleaning tape.

What does it mean?

A Cleaning tape should NOT be in the scratch pool - NBU will try to use it for backup, fail, and then freeze it.

Cleaning tape should be added as correct 1/2" Cleaning type and must be in the NONE pool. 
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164472

The failure is not because of no drives available - it is because of status 96 - no available tapes.

Please post new output of available_media.

PS:
Have you gone through the wizard that Nicolai posted a couple of weeks ago?

suhas_kakade
Level 3
Partner Accredited

this indicates tape manager coldnot allocate new volumes for backups ie storage unit has no more volumes available in the volumes specified in the backup.

Ensure that all policies and schedule specify avolume pool other than the scratch pool nd run the job.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please walk through the online virtual assistant for the SC 96.

ronak_padhya
Level 3

I have moved the cleaning tape to the NONE pool.

So the question is why the available medias are not being utilized even though they have the same configurations as the other medias which were utilized and now are full?

Marianne
Level 6

You are not giving us anything to work with.

Have you gone through the Status 96 wizard (posted twice in above responses...) ?

If you give us enough info, we will be able to assist you in the same way the wizard does:

• Output of available_media (all of it)
    (Send output to.txt file if command produces a lot of output and upload the file as File attachment.)
  • Output of the policy failing with status 96 
    bppllist  <Policy-name> -U
  • Storage Unit Config for STU specified in the policy
    bpstulist -label server-hcart-robot-tld-0 -U

You also need to have a look at how many tape drives are in use at the time that the failure occurs and check available_media at that point in time.

Example: If there are 3 tapes (media) available, and 4 tape drives in the STU, then the 3 tapes will be used on 3 tape drives and job for 4th tape drive will fail with status 96.

ronak_padhya
Level 3

I found that the 2 medias which are showing available have "Volume Expiration" date of december 2014.

9610L4   HCART   TLD      0       11      -       1 3878926194       FULL
9612L4   HCART   TLD      0       13      -       1 4410900478       FULL
9617L4   HCART   TLD      0       15      -       1 4573026781       FULL
9611L4   HCART   TLD      0       12      -       -          -  AVAILABLE
9613L4   HCART   TLD      0       14      -       -          -  AVAILABLE

Is that the reason why they are not being utilized by the Netbackup GUI even though they are showing available?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - netbackup will not those media if they have reached volume expiration. Clear the volume expiration and netbackup will start to use medias again.