cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple copies on the Application Backup schedule for rman initated backups

BackupJ
Level 3
I am new to a NetBackup 6.5.3 environment that is configured to create 2 inline copies on the Oracle automatic schedule as opposed to the application schedule.  It seems that the automatic schedule simply calls the application schedule and every backup, no matter what the retention is set for in the automatic, will retain the retention that is specified in the application (also not making copies this way).

If that's the case, I am assuming I need to create multiple application schedules with different retentions for the different schedules I want, and then input logic into the rman script to call the appropriate application schedule.  Am I on the correct path?  If that's the case, how may I combine that logic in the one rman script?

Hope I am making sense :)

Have a nice day everyone!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi,

I believe that you are concerned about multiple retentions of RMAN backups.

If that is the case, then I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261087

Please correct me if I misunderstood you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi,

I believe that you are concerned about multiple retentions of RMAN backups.

If that is the case, then I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261087

Please correct me if I misunderstood you.

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
The data is backed up via the application schedule and will be kept for the period defined in this schedule.

If you want to do backups with multiple retention levels in one policy, you probably want to schedule these different. so maybe you will build it like this:

oracle_weekly - automatic backup, every week
oracle_monthly - automatic backup, every 4 weeks
weekly_backup - application backup, 1 month retention
monthly_backup - application backup, 1 year retention

in the script that is called by this policy, you can simply check which automatic backup schedule is started by reading the NB_ORA_ variables and use the application backup you desire.