cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple schedules in a single policy - selection when start times the same

SYM-AJ
Level 5

I have a Windows based 8.1.2 master server running with a 5240 appliance media server.

I have a policy (MS-WINDOWS) containing 2 schedules.

I have a FULL weekly schedule - using calendar based scheduling, set for 20:00-21:00 every Friday, using the default SLP for the policy which has a 1 month retention

I have a FULL monthly schedule - using calendar based scheduling, set for 20:00-21:00 on the last Friday, overriding the default SLP with an SLP which has a 1 year retention

What is happening is that both schedules are running each Friday, the one with the longer retention first immediately followed by the one with the shorter retention.

I have used this approach numerous times before and when 2 schedules are set to run at the same time the one with the longest retention is selected and the other schedule does not run. This is what I want to happen (as it avoids having put numerous exclusion dates in).

I cannot see why this is not the case here.....

Is my understanding of the process is correct in that you would expect that when two schedules within the same policy clash (time and date) that only the one with the longest retention should run.

Regards,

AJ.

4 REPLIES 4

Krutons
   VIP   

Are you not using exclude/include days? Like for the weekly schedule, include 1st,2nd,3rd,4th Friday, Exclude Last Friday.

Then the opposite for the monthly backup?

No - that's a 'pain in the ****' and I have had not needed to use that approach before (after years of doing so and then learning that this was not required).  I cannot locate it now but I came accross a technote a few years ago explaining this operation and the fact that when two schedules within a policy clash the one with the longest retention takes precendense.  Ever since that time I have been configuring in this manner.

AJ

Krutons
   VIP   

From the admin guide in 7.7.3, 8.1.1 and 8.1.2

If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup
frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses as follows:
■ Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups)
always have higher priority. For example, a schedule that has a backup frequency
of one month takes priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of 2 weeks.

Schedule Attributes tab
■ When two schedules are each due to run, the schedule with the schedule name
that is first in alphabetical order runs first. Alphabetical priority occurs if both of
the following are true:
■ Each schedule is within the defined time window.
■ Each schedule is configured with the same frequency value.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good post from @Krutons , but that applies to Frequency schedules. 

I have been trying to avoid Calendar schedules as far as possible.

This has been working for me and lots of our customers:
Stick to Frequency schedules for daily and weekly backups, add Calendar schedule in same policy for monthly backups (although the Admin Guide says NOT to do this).
Move Start time for monthly backup to 10-15 min before weekly schedule - we need to ensure that monthly schedule starts first.
When weekly Frequency schedule is due, nbpem should see that another Full backup is already running and skip this schedule.