cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multistreaming backups

Jacob
Level 4

Hi,

We have a lot of servers which multistream their backups. My question is in regards to the control job for multistreaming.

It seems like the control job is also taking a stream on the drive. We have a media server with 5 LTO4 drives and multiplexing set to 8, that should give a maximum of 40 streams, which we also see, but a bunch of them are control jobs.

Is there a way to avoid the control jobs taking a stream on the drives? (I would prefer to keep multiplexing at 8).

(for oracle and SAP backups we make the kick off scripts run a dummy disk storage unit, but it doesn't seem to be possible to do that for these jobs).

We use NetBackup 6.5.6 on SuSE servers.

BR, Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Investigating a parent job on the Activity Monitor, it does allocate the resource within Job Details, but it seems a bit pointless for it to actually use up that resource itself.

What exactly are you trying to backup? Is it possible to switch off the multi-streaming?

The only reason I ask such a question is that some time ago we had our polices set up to mullti-stream thinking that was the way to go (Windows clients, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES). But we found out that performance was just as good, if not better, with it switched off.

We also had several policies that had it switched on but wasn't using it if that makes sense? Basically, various policies each backing up a specific file system for several *NIX clients. The only result of having the multi-streaming on was an extra parent job - obviously it ran in multiple streams anyway as they were different clients.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Investigating a parent job on the Activity Monitor, it does allocate the resource within Job Details, but it seems a bit pointless for it to actually use up that resource itself.

What exactly are you trying to backup? Is it possible to switch off the multi-streaming?

The only reason I ask such a question is that some time ago we had our polices set up to mullti-stream thinking that was the way to go (Windows clients, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES). But we found out that performance was just as good, if not better, with it switched off.

We also had several policies that had it switched on but wasn't using it if that makes sense? Basically, various policies each backing up a specific file system for several *NIX clients. The only result of having the multi-streaming on was an extra parent job - obviously it ran in multiple streams anyway as they were different clients.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Agree with Andy - never noticed the parent job taking up one resource allocation...

Please see if it's not perhaps 'Max Jobs per Client' that's the limiting factor. I somehow remember seeing that causing a similar issue.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

There was a bug in 6.5.3 when parent job reserved drive during database backups but it was fixed.