cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Tape drives are detected as Other devices

praveen_kum4890
Level 2

Hi All,

Thanks in advance, I want to test a few scripts related to Netbackup in UNIX and Windows Environment so I have installed a MHVTL a free virtual tape library in a Linux test environment and it is working fine, I need to test for Windows environment also so i have created,an iSCSI target in the Linux and mapped all the robot and tape drives in Windows 2008 R2 server, But in that server, my robots are detected as Other Media chander and my tape drives are detected as Other devices instead of Tape drives, and in tpautoconf -t output no tape drives are detecting, since i am new to windows environment can u please suggest what will be the issue if there is any driver issue can you please provide me a link fro downloading the driveres for Win 2008 server Please find the Robot and Tape drive details below

Tape drive Models:

STK T10000B

IBM ULT3580-TD4

IBM ULT3580-TD5

Robot Models:

STK L80

STK L700

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

'Other Media changer' is perfectly fine as this means the default Microsoft drivers are used.

For tape drives, you need to find drivers.
IBM drivers can be downloaded from IBM web site.

STK drivers may be more challenging - I have searched on the Oracle web site some time ago but was unable to find anything as a non-Oracle customer.

Unfortunately Symantec does not have any tape drivers for 64-bit OS. They only had drivers for 32-bit OS.

Unless you can find drivers for the STK tape drives, you may not be able to use them.
The IBM drives with drivers from IBM should be fine.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne

'Other Media changer' is perfectly fine as this means the default Microsoft drivers are used.

For tape drives, you need to find drivers.
IBM drivers can be downloaded from IBM web site.

STK drivers may be more challenging - I have searched on the Oracle web site some time ago but was unable to find anything as a non-Oracle customer.

Unfortunately Symantec does not have any tape drivers for 64-bit OS. They only had drivers for 32-bit OS.

Unless you can find drivers for the STK tape drives, you may not be able to use them.
The IBM drives with drivers from IBM should be fine.

praveen_kum4890
Level 2

Hi Marianna,

Thnks for your update, As u suggested i have installed the driver for IBM drives but still it is not detected, still it is showing other devices only, It will be greatful if you share me the link for the IBM drivers i it is possible

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Praveen Kumar.B

Marianne

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have experienced this before with IBM tape & other drivers on windows, they are installed but not loaded

Some times you can get the driver to load by running update driver for each tape drive, other times you have to reboot to get them to load

In your case with an emulator, the scsi inquiry may not return what is expected from tape drives

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

New user who has not been back since 4 April....

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Oh did not see that, must keep closer watch on the dates in the future

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

I have sent him a Private Message. Still no reply...