Did you mean: 

NB trying to create snapshot on vmware templates

kp-
Level 4
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1. x64
  • Master and media server on single server
  • Netbackup 7.5.0.7
  • Local disk, basic disk for storage

I have a policy that's specific to backup vmware templates. In vcenter I see that NB is trying to create a snapshot. I see the following error in vCenter tasks: 

"The operation is not supported on the object."

I have configured an automatic policy thru a query.

Datacenter Equal "DevTemplates" AND Template Equal TRUE

• block-level is disasbled
  • Using nbd and hotadd as transport modes
  • excluded boot disks
  • Primary VM Identifier =  VM display name
  • Orphaned snapshot handling = Ignore
  • disableIPResolution = 1

I resolved this issue by setting Orphaned snapshot handling to "Ignore". Before I had it set to Remove NBU. Per the docs it says NB ignores templates and does not try to create a snapshot. Well NB did try to create a snapshot on a vmware template, but failed. Why did it even try?

Not sure what logs you might want to see, but this is my discovery. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You're correct, A virtual machine template cannot be captured in a snapshot. It's a limitation that vmware implements. NetBackup should skip the snapshot portion of the job and back up the template to the designated storage unit.  

What is the NetBackup query rule your using for this policy? Does the job still complete despite this error?

If using Orphaned snapshot handling works, then it might not be seeing the VM as a template for some reason. The "Ignore" option is to prevent NetBackup from asking vmware to remove any previous snaps and make a new one. That's why your getting that error. HOWTO71000 gives more information on Orphaned snapshot handling.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DG-2005
Level 5

Change your query to be the following:

Datacenter Equal "DevTemplates" AND NOT Template Equal TRUE

just have it mixed up :)

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You're correct, A virtual machine template cannot be captured in a snapshot. It's a limitation that vmware implements. NetBackup should skip the snapshot portion of the job and back up the template to the designated storage unit.  

What is the NetBackup query rule your using for this policy? Does the job still complete despite this error?

If using Orphaned snapshot handling works, then it might not be seeing the VM as a template for some reason. The "Ignore" option is to prevent NetBackup from asking vmware to remove any previous snaps and make a new one. That's why your getting that error. HOWTO71000 gives more information on Orphaned snapshot handling.

kp-
Level 4

I WANT templates to be included.. Your query would make it so templates get excluded.

kp-
Level 4

What is the NetBackup query rule your using for this policy? Vmware? I'm not sure what you're asking. hah. 

Does the job still complete despite this error? Yup, completes with no error..

For this policy there is only 7 templates that get backed up so that's why this is a good test.  I did a manual backup and there does not seem to be any errors now. 

Thanks for the KB Article!