cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBCC Error while upgrading from 6.x to 7.x

rchandr
Level 3

Hi all,

I ran the NBCC 7.5.0.3 Download tool on my Unix master server installed on Solaris 10.

I got CONSISTENCY_ERROR Integ_5_1 after running the tool.

I installed it in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support location and ran the tool.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You have to contact Symantec support so they can run the nbcc output through the nbcca analysis tool. It is not possible to fix nbcc issues without this procedure. Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You have to contact Symantec support so they can run the nbcc output through the nbcca analysis tool. It is not possible to fix nbcc issues without this procedure. Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This is the meaning of 5_1

Check if the Media server for this Media id is down. If yes then please up the Media server and try to run the NBCC once again.
If we are unable to locate the Media server / or the Media server has been decommissioned then please run the following command:
bpmedia -movedb -ev <media_id> -oldserver <old server name> -newserver <new server name>

A requirement to run nbcc successfully is that all the media servers are available - if one (or more) is down/ unavailable then this could be causing the 5_1.  Another possible cause is an incorrectly decommissioned media servers.

Running nbcc just shows the codes, without running the output through the nbcca tool (internal only ) we can't tell which tapes are affected - so my first post is still valid - log a call.

FYI - this issue would not cause a problem for an upgrade.  In fact, I don't think any NBCC issue would cause a problem for an upgrade from 6.x to 7.x.  Upgrade issue (due to nbcc problems) were really only an issue when upgrading from 5.x to 6.x

Martin

rchandr
Level 3

We were asked to run the NBCCR tool after the analysis of NBCC output file. There were many inconsistences found and asked us to run the suggested repair tool... 

What will be the action plan after the successfull execution of NBCC utility?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The engineer should have gone through the SRA file before sending to you, to make sure there are no unexpected issues.

Once you have the SRA file, you run NBCCR which will read in the SRA file and apply the fixes.

You then re-run NBCC and send it back, and the process is repeated until all issues are resolved.

1.  This cycle can repeat numerous times, it is not possible to say how many 'goes' are needed, it depends on how many issues there are, how dissicult they are to fix, how the engineer approaches the problems etc ..

Persoanlly, if there are many issues, I breake them into groups (for example multiple tapes/ images but with the same problem) - fix the 'easy' ones first and then tackle the 'hard' ones.

If many issues, I would not advise a fellow TSW to try and fix them in one go, take it in sections.

2.  The end result is not always to fix every issue, but to 'benchmark' the system so thatg any issues that 'might' remain are known and recorded.

Usually, apart from frozen tapes (that we can never advise to unfreeze unless you know why they were frozen) the other issues are fixed.

Martin

rchandr
Level 3

The inconsistenceies were due to the FROZEN media which was assigned to the robot. Support guys asked us to re-run the NBCC utility to clear the inconsistenceis. But he also adviced this NBCC errors will not give very high impact during/after the upgrade. 

So we have planned to remove those media from the library as it doesnt contain any data.

What would be the next plan of action?

rchandr
Level 3

We were using media's which were configured to a different tape lib. After removing the media from the old tape library , we direcly added the media to the exisiting tape library.

But we forgot to remove the tape id from media database. Later we ran the inventroy and installed the devices.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

"What would be the next plan of action?"

If the NBCC issues have either been explained/ justified / fixed, then there is no further plan, the NBCC issue is 'complete'.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

"But he also adviced this NBCC errors will not give very high impact during/after the upgrade. "

I don't know of ANY nbcc issue that would impact an upgrade from 6.x to 7.x  ...  BUT, with the DB migration in 7.5, I would be tempted to run it, just in case.

Providing you are not going to 7.5, then nbcc issues would just move across with the upgrade.  UPgrading from 5.x would be a different matter, and is the reason NBCC was written.

Martin