cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBDB transaction logs corrupted

symsonu
Level 6

Hello ,

I have an issue with Netbackup server where NBDB transsaction logs got corrupted due to filesystem full. and nbdb is not available

I have proposed  action plan to rebuld transaction logs during force DB start. However customer is saying that there is plan to upgrade  NBU servre,

I am wondering , will this transaction logs issue  and NBDB  will fix on its own after upgrade or will  it remain remain the same after upgrade ? or we have to fix it after upgrade by following the same procedure.

or Do you suggest fixing it first before upgrade ?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... plan to upgrade  NBU server ... sounds like something in the future, not today or tomorrow, right?

I cannot imagine that upgrade or migrate will magically fix the corrupt logs. Fix it before upgrade.
They will need successful catalog backup before the upgrade.
Catalog backup will not succeed under these circumstances.

The procedure in TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55797 will not take more than a couple of minutes.
Just do it!
You will have a working, functional master that can be upgraded.

Get your customer to put filesystem monitoring in place and ensure that catalog backup runs at least once per day. Catalog backup will truncate transaction logs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... plan to upgrade  NBU server ... sounds like something in the future, not today or tomorrow, right?

I cannot imagine that upgrade or migrate will magically fix the corrupt logs. Fix it before upgrade.
They will need successful catalog backup before the upgrade.
Catalog backup will not succeed under these circumstances.

The procedure in TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55797 will not take more than a couple of minutes.
Just do it!
You will have a working, functional master that can be upgraded.

Get your customer to put filesystem monitoring in place and ensure that catalog backup runs at least once per day. Catalog backup will truncate transaction logs.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Unless you are planning to use your latest catalog backup which we hope was successful, assuming Mariannes direction wont work?

Then you could recover with that, noting you'll lose everything after the the catalog backup was done. : either way it would be folly to think that going for an upgrade with a corrupted DB is going to fix things. But if Symantec support have stated this, well its  a neat solution!

Jim