cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBDISCO on MASTER server

jim_dalton
Level 6

Whilst I enjoy OIP , I dont enjoy the nbdisco process swallowing resources. So my question is simple: can the nbdisco process on the master be disabled and if so is there a recommended method to permanently stop it from executing?

Solaris 10 Sparc / NB7601

Thanks in advance,Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

Official sources tell me that the process on the master is part of OIP and so is required. Theres a reported mem leak which is fixed in 7.6.1. Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

Used for Oracle Itelligent Polices.  If you don't need it, run nbdisco -terminate

Then you can rename the binary: cd netbackup/bin; mv nbdisco NOnbdisco (or some such thing).

Froeschke
Level 3

Be very careful just terminating nbdisco on your master.  We had it disabled on our master server in our environment (over 3000 clients) and what we found was every couple of days, somewhere between 00:00 and 00:30 the PBX process would core dump.   Analysis of the core dump by support showed all the clients contacting the master with discovery (because it had NOT been disabled on the clients) and since nbdisco was disabled on the master, it was flooding PBX and process threads causing PBX to core dump.   Once nbdisco was re-enabled we've not encountered problems since.  

We had disco disabled for at least 3 months or so before this started occuring, so at some point in time, it reached "ciritical mass" with number of clients reporting in.

Just an FYI, as it caused about 4 weeks of pain and unscheduled outages before it was determined what was happening.  :)

jim_dalton
Level 6

Most interesting: I think raising a case is the only sensible way forward.Thanks Will, Froeschke.Jim

jim_dalton
Level 6

Official sources tell me that the process on the master is part of OIP and so is required. Theres a reported mem leak which is fixed in 7.6.1. Jim