cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 5.0 MP7 is out

Colin_North
Level 6
Hello guys,
Has anyone installed NBU 5.0 MP7? I had a techalert from Symantec a couple of days ago, and wanted to know if I need to install it and if there are any issues?

I have about 100 servers and had planned to upgrade to NBU 6.0 early next year.

I'm using NBU 5.0 Enterprise Server MP4, Windows 2000 Master Server with a mix of Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 clients.

Cheers, Colin.
12 REPLIES 12

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Unless you have some underlying need to upgrade to 6.0 I would probably upgrade to 5.1 MP6 instead of 6.0 MP4.

I have two sites. I upgraded my local site to 6.0. I will most likely upgrade to MP4 next month, not completely sure though.

The remote site that I manage will stay at 5.1 until I am confident that the reliablilty issue's of 6 have been resolved.

DavidParker
Level 6
Ya know Dennis, I wanted to say the same thing: Stick with 5.1 =)

Great minds think alike?

Colin_North
Level 6
Dennis / David,
Thanks for your replys, but I thought Symantec were ending tech support for NBU 5.0 in October 2007, or has that date now changed?

I wanted to avoid the pain of doing an interim upgrade and then have to upgrade to 6.0 later on, but I do hear what you are saying.

For the moment I just need to know if there's a need to update to MBU 5.0 MP7?

Cheers, Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Colin,
The answer can be found in the README file for the MP. Always download and read this file whenever a MP or security alert is posted as being available. The README will describe all of the problems/fixes contained in the pack. If the MP doesn't apply to your environment, then do NOT install it merely to be at the latest and greatest. Upgrades are such a hassel and sometimes can introduce new problems, but at least take the time to download and read the README file.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
You mean those files called "README" are intended to be read? :) Happy Monday!

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you do not want to do an interim upgrade then just stay on 5.0. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out of 6 by October of 07. If you are not having any problems then your current MP is probably a safe bet.

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
I definitely agree that if you're not having any issues, why upgrade, but we're on 6.0 MP4 here and it has fixed several of the issues that were giving us fits, may have fixed some of the issues we couldn't figure out where they were coming from, and stabilized things like NOM that we're really looking to utilize much more heavily in the near future.

It's a risk, to be sure, but I've done 5-6 upgrades now from 5.1 to 6.0 (server side ones at that), and have yet to have anything like a database get corrupted or anything. MP4 in particular has really done quite a bit to increase my confidence in 6.0. I've got 4 sites, the smallest with about 30 servers, and all of them running 6.0 MP4 with no problems. I definitely get fewer "weird" problems now than I did on MP3. Just be careful because like any upgrade to your master server, it'll replace any customized scripting options (backup_exit_notify script in my case) with the canned version.

Colin_North
Level 6
Thanks to everyone for your helpful input on this one. I've read the readme and for my environment it looks like I am OK, so I'll stick with 5.0 MP4 until I am confident that 6.0 is ok to upgrade to.

One final question, short of me phoning Symantec tech support does anyone else know when the support for 5.0 ends? Is it Oct 2007?

Thanks, Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
go to this link and select the version of NetBackup and it will show you October 3, 2007
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/release_details.jsp?pid=15143

Colin_North
Level 6
Bob - Thanks for the info.

Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
your welcome.

looks like both 5.0 and 5.1 are EOL on the same date

DavidParker
Level 6
Nooooo!