cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.0 Catalog Online Backup 'Best Practices'

kimleong
Level 4
Hi all,

Just want to ask around NBU 6.0 users here - what is your backup policy for NBU 6.0 online catalog backups? Other than the 'best practices' mentioned in the user manuals, what other best practices do you use?

For scheduling and protection - what are your settings?

Just want to understand how this is done for other people. I am currently backing up full online catalog twice a day, once in the morning and once at night with retention set to 1 year. Is that overkill?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
It depends on how much activity your backup server is doing.
If you're running jobs constantly then it might not be overkill.
Don't forget that you can do incremental catalog backups!

I just got onto 6.0 and am starting out with 1/day full and 1/6hr incrementals on the catalog (plus Vault copies of the catalog 2x/day)

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
2 copies one to disk an other to tape this last one goes to the vault.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
One of my colleagues employed a rotating schedule, with Fulls running on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with pool A, and Fulls running on Tuesday and Thursday with pool B.  Incrementals in the evening with the same scheme.  This ensures that in case something happens to the catalog tape currently in use, you have an extra tape available.  This emulates the behavior of the catalog backup from 5.1.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
We take an in-line copy to two robots - thus two physically different media for every backup.
But I like the idea of rotating across two pools too.  I will be implmenting this.  Thanks for the tip.
Anyone forsee any issues doing a weekly full catalog, and a daily cummulative incremental catalog?