cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.4 and 6.5.3 cdrom: open failed on Redhat 4 with bare metal restore

Ozymandias
Level 2
After enabling bare metal restore on our hosts with either 6.5.3 or 6.5.4 we get 'cdrom: open failed' errors logged almost imediately after the backup starts. Is there any way to prevent this? We tried excluding /dev/cdrom and /dev/hda in an attempt to do this, but it still occurs.
5 REPLIES 5

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
Some more info:

Master/Media server in this environment is Windows 2003 x64, the clients that are failing are running RHEL 4.

Is anyone using BMR successfully on Red Hat 4?

AmolV
Level 5
1. In case of BMR Enabled policies, you'd typically 2 jobs in teh NBU Activity monitor, one is the BMR Configuration Backup job and the second one is the actual data backup job.
Under which job are you seeing these errors? the first one or the second one?
Could you give the details appearing in the job details window here?

2. What update of RHEL4 is this?

3. On the client, go to /usr/openv/netbackup/bin and run the command: `bmrsavecfg -infoonly`
If this exits with success, check /usr/openv/baremetal/client/data to see if there is a file named bundle.dat over there. If there is, atleast the BMR Agent on the client ran successfully.

4. Turn off BMR from the policy and run the backup again, do you still see the problem? If yes, then it might not be BMR issue but some other problem.

HTH,
Amol.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
I got some more info from him, it appears that it's not an error in any NetBackup logs, but is actually an error appearing in the syslog on the client.  NetBackup logs all say that BMR completed successfully.  Is this an error he needs to worry about, or just a byproduct of BMR on RHEL 4?

AmolV
Level 5
I don't think there is anything worth worrying in this.
But I could check my system logs at the next backup and update whether I too see such a message. (He means the dmesg log or the one in /var/log, right?)
If he is able to see the BMR client in the BMR Management node and if the backup jobs went through successfully, he should be fine.
BTW, is the client a virtual machine?
VMWare based virtual machines arent supported until 6.5.4. (Master as well as client).

Ozymandias
Level 2
1. These are in the OS logs. (/var/log/messages)

2. 4.6 (Nahant)

3. Have not done yet -- it appears that the backups are completing successfully.

4. BMR is the only time this occurs.

It appears that this is nothing to worry about, at least that is the concensus we have reached here. We were conserned that this may be an error message, while it appears to be an informational on on further investigation.

Ozy