cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.4 using NDMP restores

MichelleOz
Level 3
Using NB 6.5.4 on Win 2003 server to backup a Sun 7210 appliance using NDMP to tape.

Backup works fine.  Have problems with the restore though.

When I use the restore pane,  I can see all the directories and files at the various levels. When I select a directory on the left hand side of the pane, it shows a tick, which implies that all the sub-directories and files for that directory tree branch will be restored.  But that doesn't happen, only that directory selected is restored & not any of sub directories or files.  However, I can select individual files & directories via the right side pane, then they are restored.

Am backing up & restoing to same appliance.  Have selected the various restore options, still doesn't restore all the files/directories for that branch.

I also backed-up & restored a Windows 2003 client to test another client.  The restore works, it will restore the sub-directories and files as one would expect by just selecting the left hand side directory.

I have tried the Java console, same outcome for the NDMP backup.   Have the 11 May 09 as the latest update installed.  Am running an evaluation licence key as I'm waiting for my purchased key to arrive.

Any ideas ? Much appreciated
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelleOz
Level 3
After more googling and re-reading the Veritas NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide:

if you disable DAR for restores everything worked fine.

thanks everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Do you tried on another solaries box? so you can confirm that it may be the issue of Solaries installation

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Do you allow multi jobs per client - meaning do you get 1 job for every file system?

If yes try this.....

on the top of the BAR choose just 1 backup ( not all of them for the day)

and find the dir you are looking for

What I think is happening.

if I have a backup job for /  it will get all sub dirs as well - BUT I tell it not to cross mount points.

so it will backup the directory var  but as var is also its own file system  /var will get backed up in its own job.

So the job that backs up /  backs up JUST the Directory var but not the contents

A different job backs up /var/*  - meaning it gets all the contents of var.

So look to see if you can find one job that backed up / and see if you can find your dir in that job and if that job shows any files in it.

Then look and see if you have a different job that backed your file system and also has the contents you are looking for.

------
After having said all that - it should restore the dir and everything in it if you have all jobs chosen - not sure why it would not - but see if it makes a difference.

MichelleOz
Level 3
I have two 7210 appliances and have tried restoring to the two boxes; the issue persists.

thanks

hbrits
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

We have the same problem and have a call open with Symantec for this. The recommendation from the developer was to use the TAR backup format instead, by adding "set type=TAR" at the top of the backup file selection in the policy, and run a new backup.

We haven't testet this yet.

Henri

MichelleOz
Level 3
thanks Henri for your reply.

I've just tested adding that directive, but the problem still exists:

When using the 'Restore' pane, I can select any directory which contains files or sub-directories on the left hand side pane (which it marks with a tick) but it doesn't restore all the directories and files, just that directory that was ticked.  However, selecting individual files and directories from the right hand side pane will be restored.

Michelle

MichelleOz
Level 3

The back actually works, I get a listing of all directries and files, and I can select individual files and directories from the right hand side pane of the 'Backup, Archive and Restore' Window.

However, when I select any directory which contains files or sub-directories on the left hand side pane, which it marks with a tick, it doesn't restore all the directories and files, just that directory that was ticked.

Hope this is making sense as it is difficult to describe

MichelleOz
Level 3
After more googling and re-reading the Veritas NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide:

if you disable DAR for restores everything worked fine.

thanks everyone for your help.