cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.6 to 7.0 upgrade and new hardware

Colin_North
Level 6

I am about to upgrade my NBU installation from 6.5.6 to 7.0, but at the same time I will be replacing my two NBU servers with two new servers, and adding another media server. My question is can I take a backup of my 6.5.6 Catalog and recover this to my new NBU 7.0 Master Server?

From what I have already read, I am hearing that this is not possible, so I have put together a simple plan...

Current Master and Media Servers
Both physical Dell PE2950
Windows 2003 Standard SP2 32 Bit
NetBackup 6.5.6

Replacement Master and Media Servers (and a new second Media Server)
All Dell R710
Windows 2008 R2 64 Bit
NetBackup 7.0

The replacement Master and Media Servers will have the same hostnames and IPs as the current ones, but will not be present on the network at the same time, so no conflicts. My simple plan is as follows:

1) Perform NBCC check on current 6.5.6 Master Server
2) Perform an in place upgrade of current Master and Media Servers from 6.5.6 to 7.0
3) Backup the 7.0 Catalog
4) Turn off current Master and Media Servers
5) Build the replacement Master and Media Servers with Windows 2008 and install NetBackup 7.0
6) Recover the Catalog to the replacement Master Server
7) Build new second Media Server and add to the mix
8) Backup the 7.0 Catalog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

The - no would be recover a 6.5.6 catalog on an installed 7.x. master.

But your plan of upgrading to 7.x as your first step is good, then move to new hardware

or move to new hardware then upgrade.

You are good to only try one step at a time so you would know where your problems are.

If doing the upgrade first make sure it is working correctly before the move step.

Find and follow the moving to a new master to make sure you get all that correct.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

The - no would be recover a 6.5.6 catalog on an installed 7.x. master.

But your plan of upgrading to 7.x as your first step is good, then move to new hardware

or move to new hardware then upgrade.

You are good to only try one step at a time so you would know where your problems are.

If doing the upgrade first make sure it is working correctly before the move step.

Find and follow the moving to a new master to make sure you get all that correct.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per the TN that JH posted above, the alternative would be to install 6.5.6 on the new hardware, do catalog recovery, then upgrade to 7.x.

What is important is that you can only recover catalog to the SAME NBU version...