cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1 (Windows) backing up Solaris 10 ZFS

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi

I am looking for some guidance and hope you can assist.

We have a NetBackup 7.1.0.4 for Windows environment using MSDP disk storage and a HP EML Tape Library.  We want to backup a Solaris 10 Client using zpools and want to understand a few points.

1. I understand that zpools can provide deduplicated storage?
  2. What happens during the backup with regards to the deduped data i.e. is it rehydrated from the zpool and backed up or does NetBackup capture the low-fat deduplicated image?

Essentially I want to be sure that we are backing up all the data rather than an unusable number of I & O's

Much appreciated as I have a slight crisis crying

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
> 1. I understand that zpools can provide deduplicated storage? ZFS can provide deduplication storage using "zfs set dedup=on". > 2.What happens during the backup with regards to the deduped data i.e. is it rehydrated from the zpool and backed up or does NetBackup capture the low-fat deduplicated image? Deduplication take part inside ZFS. And to read request from application(including NetBackup),ZFS will provide data as it was at write. This means data will be rehydrated against any application- NetBackup can backup files in ZFS, and files are rehydrated and served to NetBackup at backup.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
> 1. I understand that zpools can provide deduplicated storage? ZFS can provide deduplication storage using "zfs set dedup=on". > 2.What happens during the backup with regards to the deduped data i.e. is it rehydrated from the zpool and backed up or does NetBackup capture the low-fat deduplicated image? Deduplication take part inside ZFS. And to read request from application(including NetBackup),ZFS will provide data as it was at write. This means data will be rehydrated against any application- NetBackup can backup files in ZFS, and files are rehydrated and served to NetBackup at backup.

MikeM11
Level 4

Many thanks for the clarification.

Much appreciated, Mike