cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1--catalog migration

Arun_K
Level 6

Hi All,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D14192518497756zQ3m1sVeiRr2uTBw6XSgUwN82fBzM5MsWL4S

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

1..Can i use 'Recovery without Import " option for catalog recovery on a new master server?

i have ran a full catalog backup on old master server A.

Now i have read that in 'Recovery without Import" option ,we copy the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client name folder and scp it to the new master server B on the same location.

But if its a catalog backup,then what directories i have to copy from A to B in order for 'Recovery without Import " to work? i know my catalog tapes id for master server A.

I have shipped the tapes to the master server B and inserted in the library with new barcode rules and mew volume pool.

2...Is 'Recovery without Import " only used when we are restoring  backup client data from A to B not for Catalog migration from A to B. ??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Recovery without import is NOT a catalog recovery, it allows only restores to be made, no backups to the tapes will be possible, and commands such as bpmedialist will not show the tapes as they will have no media db entry.

It also causes NBCC catalog consistency issues, it is only meant as a temporary 'step'.

As you mention on your post yourself, for client restore you copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client folders, this is what recovery without import is, same thing as you have called client restore.

It is not possible or supported to recovery the catalog by coping files across, it will fail, the supported and correct way is a catalog recovery.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What exactly do you need to do? If you want to migrate to new hardware, followed by upgrade, then Recovery Without Import is NOT the way to go. I agree with Martin. Recovery Without Import is for restores in DR testing. The EMM database with device and media info will be lost. Current media cannot be appended to and you will have no idea when tapes can be recycled and will always run the risk of overwriting tapes with valid backups. Follow TECH77448 as per the link in your opening post to migrate to new hardware. Depending on current and new hardware/OS your steps will either be: 1) Catalog backup on old server 2) Install new server with same hostname and same NBU version and patch level 3) Upgrade NBU OR: 1) Upgrade current master 2) Take catalog backup 3) Install new master with same hostname and NBU version as old upgraded master 4) Recover catalog We can provide best advice if you tell us what exactly it is you need to do along with current and new OS.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you want to restore a catalog you should use the recommended procedures in the disaster recovery notes in the Troubleshooting guides.

Page 173

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3683

Arun_K
Level 6

Yes , i am looking for the catalog restore.I have to run bprecover -wizard

But cant i use "recovery without import" or "recovery with import " here?

Arun_K
Level 6

i have found below answers:

2...Is 'Recovery without Import " only used when we are restoring  backup client data from A to B not for Catalog migration from A to B. ??

Yes,recoevry without import can be used.

1...for question 1,still unable to find the path to copy:

i am going with the catalog recovery without import.

i need to know what files i need to copy from A to B.

For client restore,i use to copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client name

Now what to copy in order to do catalog mugration? I mean what folder?

after copy below steps will be followed:

add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry and then browse for images and restore to original location and restart NBU.

Please correct me if i am wrong...thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Are you actually trying to move a NetBackup catalog from once system to another?

If so, are they the same OS, NBU version etc? What is the purpose of you doing this?

Arun_K
Level 6

yes.I am migrating the catalog from one server to another master server.old master is 6.5.upgraded to 7.1

yes..os same.same version.same host name..same path.,same ip.

We have been told to do upgrade to 7.1(not 7.6).

Please it will be helpful if my above query is answered.

1...for question 1,still unable to find the path to copy:

i am going with the catalog recovery without import.

i need to know what files i need to copy from A to B.

For client restore,i use to copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client name

Now what to copy in order to do catalog mugration? I mean what folder?

after copy below steps will be followed:

add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry and then browse for images and restore to original location and restart NBU.

Please correct me if i am wrong...thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I would not copy in that way for a server migration, I would use the catalog backup which is the supported method, go see my previous post.

Arun_K
Level 6

thanks.

i have been advised for the recovery without import process by the onsite  team.

i need to know what folders to copy?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you insist on using this method, then have a read of this it is 7.5 though

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28722

and

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tape-cartridge-restore-alternate-netbackup-server-without-import-procedure-two-phase-import

Arun_K
Level 6

yeah..I have read this but it is not telling what folders to copy.

i need to do catalog recovery using this "recovery without import method".

i need the path which i need to copy.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Recovery without import is NOT a catalog recovery, it allows only restores to be made, no backups to the tapes will be possible, and commands such as bpmedialist will not show the tapes as they will have no media db entry.

It also causes NBCC catalog consistency issues, it is only meant as a temporary 'step'.

As you mention on your post yourself, for client restore you copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client folders, this is what recovery without import is, same thing as you have called client restore.

It is not possible or supported to recovery the catalog by coping files across, it will fail, the supported and correct way is a catalog recovery.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just reread your first post, so will just highlight. 

Recovery without import is for clients only, and not recommended due to reasons I've given above, no bpmedialist command for the tapes that have the recovery without import clients data on, tapes can only be read, not written to.

There is no such thing as recovery without import for the catalog backup, it has to be recovered via catalog recovery to give a server that is in a supported configuration.

What I don't understand is why you would even consider it, the catalog consists of two main parts, the image db (.f files) and nbdb, and even if you could do recovery without import ( which you can't), you would still have to read the tape so it would take the same amount of time.

Marianne
What exactly do you need to do? If you want to migrate to new hardware, followed by upgrade, then Recovery Without Import is NOT the way to go. I agree with Martin. Recovery Without Import is for restores in DR testing. The EMM database with device and media info will be lost. Current media cannot be appended to and you will have no idea when tapes can be recycled and will always run the risk of overwriting tapes with valid backups. Follow TECH77448 as per the link in your opening post to migrate to new hardware. Depending on current and new hardware/OS your steps will either be: 1) Catalog backup on old server 2) Install new server with same hostname and same NBU version and patch level 3) Upgrade NBU OR: 1) Upgrade current master 2) Take catalog backup 3) Install new master with same hostname and NBU version as old upgraded master 4) Recover catalog We can provide best advice if you tell us what exactly it is you need to do along with current and new OS.

Arun_K
Level 6

thanks marianne.

so recovery without import is not used for catalog migration.Am i correct?We have to go with regullar catalog recovery process?

Marianne
Correct. I am still wondering why you mentioned TECH77448 in your opening post. Have you read it? Those are the steps you need to follow.