Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1 client install fails on Solaris 10

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install NBU 7.1 client on a Solaris 10 machine. The install fails with the following error:

========= Installing package ==========

Processing package instance <SYMCnbclt> from </tmp/nb_pkg>

NetBackup Client(sparc) 7.1.0.0
## Executing checkinstall script.
Copyright 1993 - 2010 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved.
pkginfo: ERROR: attach door: Not owner
/var/tmp//installRgaOeo/checkinstallTgaOeo: test: unknown operator 1
pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully

Installation of <SYMCnbclt> failed.
No changes were made to the system.

uname output:

SunOS xxxxx 5.10 Generic_142909-17 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320

Used the new GNU Tar package (> v1.16). Untarred twice to confirm. Used the same package to install client on other machines and it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Never seen this before. I assume IF you moved the package across with FTP you did so using 'binary' mode? May sound like a silly question, but you are installing this as 'root' ?

If the answers to the above questions are yes and it's still an issue it may be an issue with your OS perhaps?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As covered by revaroo ensure that you are logged in as root and make sure that you have extracted the installation package correctly in the first place as there is a know issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Guys,

Have made sure that I have extracted the packages properly and am installing the package as root. Actually, I was doing a push install on all the clients. 15 clients got it done successfully. This one failed with the same error. Tried to manually install the client, same issue.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

shahfar,

Any difference in the OS or patches on this client compared to the clients where the install worked?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Double all pre-reqs in the Release Notes to make sure that this client is not missing something

Does this client use zones?

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

All systems have the same OS and patch level and this system does not use any zones. Are there any logs for the installation? The client trace does not have anything concrete to trouble shoot on.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The "not owner" implies a lack of rights - root / SU etc

But check the attributes of the package itself to make sure that everything can be accessed and scripts are executable etc.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I'm with Mark on this.

As we are seeing:

pkginfo: ERROR: attach door: Not owner
/var/tmp//installRgaOeo/checkinstallTgaOeo: test: unknown operator 1

This implies that pkginfo is running into issues on the install.

Check that /var/tmp is writeable by root. 

You could also truss the install script 'truss -o /tmp/truss ./name_of_install_script' 

and check in there where the script is failing. I cannot recall if the script is a shell script or an executable, if its a sehell script, find the pkginfo line and modify it to run the truss on that. We can then find why pkginfo has a problem. If you find the pkginfo line, post it here.