cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1 vmware backup license usgae

Gaurav21
Level 4

Hi

Need help to clarify license requirement for netbackup vm backups, using 7.1.

I know that enterprise client license for each esx, will I also need to have client licenses for each vm i backup ??

thanks

gaurav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - here goes ....

From the information i have been given from Symantec you need the Win/Linux/Solaris x86 Enterprise Client to backup your ESX Server - tiered accoridng to the number of processors it has.

So you Linux and WIndows ones are fine - Linux (LNX) for an ESX Server with up to 7 processors - Windows (WIN) for an ESX Server with 8 or more processors.

The Unix (UNX) one would actually need to be converted to a WIN/LNX Enterprise Client to be used for ESX / vSphere backups.

Hope this helps - i would reccomend contacting your Symantec Account manager for a second opinion on this before you take it further but this is the best information i can get at the moment.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just one Enterprise Client per ESX Server as long as you are backing up using the vSphere method.

You will also need one database pack per application type per ESX Server if you need to back up SQL and Exchange that is based on hosted servers (so if you have 5 SQL servers on one ESX Server you just nbeed 1 Database pack to back them all up - and can install a NBU client on those to do agent based backups)

No standard clients needed unless you want to back up hosted clients using the traditional method only

Hope this helps

Gaurav21
Level 4

One doubt here, for each ESX do I need enterprise client windows, or enterprise client linux license ??

I have below license for windows enterprise client.

"VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5WIN TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S"

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

First off you need to upgrade this key to a V7.0 then V7.1 key on the licensing portal.

There are 2 types of Enterprise license - the first is classed as Windows/Linux/Solaris x86 (the one you have), the other is classed as Unix / Solaris Sparc

As far as i can tell your license will be OK for a single ESX server with up to 3 processors as it is Tier 2

Hope this helps

Gaurav21
Level 4

well I am confused, as i have seperate enterprise client licenses for win, unix & linux and I do not know which one should I keep into account for ESX backups.

VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5 LNX TIER 3 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5 UNX TIER 4 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

VRTS NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 6.5 WIN TIER 4 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

Thanks

Gaurav

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Bear with me - i will get a definitive answer on this for you - it is important as the tiering is different

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - here goes ....

From the information i have been given from Symantec you need the Win/Linux/Solaris x86 Enterprise Client to backup your ESX Server - tiered accoridng to the number of processors it has.

So you Linux and WIndows ones are fine - Linux (LNX) for an ESX Server with up to 7 processors - Windows (WIN) for an ESX Server with 8 or more processors.

The Unix (UNX) one would actually need to be converted to a WIN/LNX Enterprise Client to be used for ESX / vSphere backups.

Hope this helps - i would reccomend contacting your Symantec Account manager for a second opinion on this before you take it further but this is the best information i can get at the moment.

Gaurav21
Level 4

Thanks a lot for your help Mark.