Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 Client Server installation failed, VXPBX_Exchange not running

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello, I need help.

I am currently deploying NBU 7.5 to a RHEL 5 environment.

During installation of NBU 7.5 Client Server it failed with an error vxpbx are already installed.

I verified the said application and found out that vxpbx_exchange is not running.

I tried manually restarting VXPBX_Exchange and it it indicates it has started, but by checking the status it stated not running.

I verified the port and found out that port 1556 was used by another application.

Is there a way that I can forcibly re-start the VXPBX_Exchange deamon so that the installation will push thru?

Any recommendation that will address my problem is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Adonis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nope. NetBackup needs to use the SAME port numbers throughout the entire environment.

Since 1556 is a registered Symantec port, it makes sence that the Oracle dba should 'give up'.
The default Oracle Listener port is 1521.
See 
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/oracle-port-table.html

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

port 1556 was used by another application

You need to check with application vendor. As far as I know, all nbu ports, including 1556 is registered by Symantec with Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) .

This TN says that the port number can be changed, but it will have do be done throughout your entire NBU emvironment, otherwise no server (master or media) will be able to communicate with this client.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11303

My recommendation is to NOT try and change NBU port numbers.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

As per my client, the application that uses port 1556 is oracle. And it will be troublesome for their Oracle Administrator to re-configure the port that Oracle uses. He is requesting for any other solutions.

Is there anyway that I can forcibly start the vxpbx_exchange so that I can install the NBU Client to the said server?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I guess you could change th eport used by pbx just on that client and then start it so that you can at least upgrade it. (/etc/vx/VxICS/VxPBX.cfg I think?)

After that add it to the Master Servers Host Properties - client attributes section to force that client to only communicate via vnetd

However, as this is an oracle server presumably it may be doing oracle backups and i am not sure of the affect that would have on those backups.

Just my thoughts - hope it helps

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
I will inform my client. Will get back to you if your recommendation will work.

Marianne

Nope. NetBackup needs to use the SAME port numbers throughout the entire environment.

Since 1556 is a registered Symantec port, it makes sence that the Oracle dba should 'give up'.
The default Oracle Listener port is 1521.
See 
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/oracle-port-table.html

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Had the same issue here. Oracle previous used 1556 for Oracle listener. I have already told them they need to use another  listener port. The final (and winning) argument was pointing to IANA and show them the port was assigned to Netbackup PBX. Another argument in the discussion was that using a alternate port would create the same issue as their if the new port later was used by other applications.

It's not a big deal for the DBA to change the  listener port, but it require some down time.

Marianne

Please show your dba this URL:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xml

Registered port numbers are listed in numeric order.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Thank you Marianne, I informed the client to change Oracle Port. After changing, the installation was successful.