cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 backup for SAP R/3 on IBM AIX power server.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi

We have the following details.

1. OS - IBM AIX 6.1

2. Server Hardware - IBM Power 740 server.

3. Application - SAP R/3 (ECC 6.0 with EHP 5.)

4. Database - Oracle 11g.

5. Fiber Optical - All server is connected  with FC with a FC Cisco switch.

6. Tape Libraray - System Storage TS3200(Type -  3573 L4U ) (FC connected with switch).

7. System Storage.

The IBM AIX server is clustered using Power HA Cluster Manager in between two AIX server. These AIX server have two logical partition each in both the AIX server.

There are two LUN mounted on both of these AIX servers.

I have the following queries:-

1. In the "nbu_7x_DB_agent_scl..pdf" compatibility docs page 31...it say that as follows.

Database software - Oracle;

Version - 7 ;

DB bit - 64;

OS - AIX 6.1;

CPU Architecture - Power;

OS Bit - 64 ;

Start of support - 7.0.

Here software is Oracle database and the version is 7 .what does it mean by "version 7".

2. I have checked in the cluster compibility martrix that "PowerHA Claster Manager 6.1" is supported . Do I need to check any other details for AIX Cluster.

3. In the "nbu_7x_scl_2013_06-26.pdf'  page no. - 21...that it support AIX 6.1 but inthe SAN client it has given a note as follows ...

"LPARs are supported with SAN Client if fibre channel port is dedicated"

As per my knowledge "LPAR"means the AIX logical partition of the server or the resource.

Do I need to check any other details in that LPAR and VIOS...

4. All backup were going to be onto the tape library. In the NBU_7x_hcl doc in the page 135...It says in the note " IBM medium changer driver 6.1.4.8 and above is compatible on Windows. " Does it not support in Linux or AIX server...

Do I need to check any more details on this section.

Any best practrice or any caution need to taken ...any thing else need to checked..

As we are going for Volume based license do I need to check any further more on this .....

Any issue identified....previously on these platform.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

Here software is Oracle database and the version is 7 .what does it mean by "version 7".

As stated in Database Agent Compatibility List, the "Version" on SAP Oracle represents the version of the SAP Kernel BR*Tools.

For other questions, we need more about your plan. Are you going to configure master and media server in this cluster? Or SAN client?

If former, you need to share tape devices between nodes of cluster. So you have to share tape devices via VIOS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162738

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

IBM medium changer is only an issue if you want to put robot control on the cluster.

Best to have another server as master and config as robot control host. 
IBM medium changer on Windows does not seem to have anything to do with this configuration, does it? (Windows driver that shows as Unknown Medium Changer is best for Windows robot control host.) 

My advice would be to install the cluster nodes as SAN media servers with shared drives and config Application cluster as per High Availability Guide.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

"Here software is Oracle database and the version is 7 .what does it mean by "version 7".

As stated in Database Agent Compatibility List, the "Version" on SAP Oracle represents the version of the SAP Kernel BR*Tools."

We have SAP R/3 ECC6 with EHP 5 and SAP R/3 on oracle have the BR Tools is 6.5

Will that support.

Another point about this infra.  have Server partition (LPAR).

" For other questions, we need more about your plan. Are you going to configure master and media server in this cluster? Or SAN client? "

Cluster or SAN client..?

What is the difference ...?

What are the pors and corns...

Is it possibel to use both or something...

Marianne : " My advice would be to install the cluster nodes as SAN media servers with shared drives and config Application cluster as per High Availability Guide. "

So, you want as to install SAN media server...on to the  IBM AIX server (Node) .....right.

Thanks

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sorry to be late.

As per Database Agent Compatibility List, BR Tools 7 or later is required. BR Tools 6.5 on AIX 6.1 is not supported.

Cluster or SAN client..?
What is the difference ...?

These two are examples of possible configuration. What I want is detail of your plan. Have you configured master server on the other host? Or would you like to configure this cluster as master & madia & client? I recommend you not to configure master on this cluster as in this case you need to configure NetBackup server and SAP into single service group - fault on NetBackup may cause failover of both NetBackup and SAP.

As Marianne wrote, Application Cluster is better option. In this case, you need to install NetBackup master on other host. Concept and configuration steps are detailed in NetBackup 7.5 in Highly Available Environments Administrator’s Guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5183