cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 policy for Exchange DAG's on VMWare

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

We currently have a MS exchange server 2013 running in a virtual host being backed up by the VMware backup option for Exchange. As far as I'm aware this is working successfully.

However to make life difficult we will be moving to having two exchange servers running as a DAG. And to make life doubly interesting the acive mailbox databases will be spread between the 2 hosts.

So my question is, would I need to set up the same policy for the new exchange server as the existing one, or is there some other configuration required.

My other question is, would I still be able to truncate the transaction logs as before, or are there other considerations to be aware of in a DAG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_C
Level 4
Employee

Ravi, I did some digging on this and you are correct in your assumption,

You can configure the Vmware based policy to protect Exchange 2013 - you simply do not have the GRT functionality, (thats until 7.6.0.3). So you should be able (as you said) recover from Storage Group level back into the Exchnage environment on that setup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_C
Level 4
Employee

Ravi,

How is this different to your post here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/application-state-capture-fails-status-47

You cannot mix 7.5.x with Exchange 2013 GRT.

Are you now at 7.6.x?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Many thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I guess the difference is that we are a day from moving to DAG and I was having a mini meltdown.

We are not looking at the Granular Recovery Technology, just the VMWare Exchange agent offering.

Apparently this will go over the SAN whereas the bog standard Exchange agent backup goes over the network and consequently takes much longer

We are looking at moving to 7.6 but this is a way off.

Roger_C
Level 4
Employee

If not mistaken, ticking the Exchange Option within The Vmware policy is invoking GRT, so for your combination Exchange 2013 v GRT v 7.5x - is still not supported.

If you are not ready to upgrade, to support your Exchange environment you need to install the NBU Agent on the client host directly create a policy using the Exchange Client Type. (not Vmware)

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Ok I guess I was wrong. I thought you need to have NFS configured and you can only backup to disk and not tape for GRT.

The thing is, I am able to restore mailbox databases using these vmware backups. I realise I am not able to recover just a mailbox with this scenario.

Roger_C
Level 4
Employee

Ravi, I did some digging on this and you are correct in your assumption,

You can configure the Vmware based policy to protect Exchange 2013 - you simply do not have the GRT functionality, (thats until 7.6.0.3). So you should be able (as you said) recover from Storage Group level back into the Exchnage environment on that setup.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Many thanks for that, hopefully, we can live without GRT support until we're on 7.6.