Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5

zoan_nbu
Level 4

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nbdelete

Below is the case of disk?

Keep in mind that expiration of Disk images is a two part process.

bpexpdate will detect that the image has past it's expiration time (or can be run manually).  If bpexpdate encounters a Disk Image, it will record the fragments of that image that exist on disk in EMM and they will be marked "To be deleted".  bpexpdate will then delete the header and .f file from the image directory.

Later, nbdelete will run.  It will examine the appropriate EMM tables looking for fragments to actually delete from disk.  The appropriate media server will be contacted and bpdm on that media server will actually delete the fragment from disk.  If the media server cannot be contacted, or if the media server can't access the Disk STU, then the entry will remain in the EMM table so that an attempt to delete it can be completed on the next run of nbdelete.

Both of these jobs show up in the Activity Monitor as an Image Cleanup job.  Looking at the Job Details will show if a particular Image Cleanup job is a bpexpdate job, an nbdelete job, or both.

nbdelete does not really "detect" expired images.  It only deletes fragments on images that were previously deleted by bpexpdate.

One VERY DANGEROUS flag on nbdelete is the -force flag.  What that flag does is make THIS run of nbdelete attempt to delete the disk fragment from disk, but if that attempt fails because the media server is not available, or the media server can't access the disk STU (the disk STU is not currently mounted, for example), then even though the ATTEMPT to delete the disk fragment from disk FAILED, the entry in the EMM table will be deleted.  This means that if that media server comes back, or the disk STU is again available, no further attempts will be made by NetBackup to delete that fragment from disk by any automated means.  This would "orphan" (i.e.. abandon) that disk fragment on the disk STU where those files are just "taking up space" forever unless some other action is taken to delete them.

1.what happens in case of Tape here?

2. in above paragraph below is the state ment :

"bpexpdate will detect that the image has past it's expiration time (or can be run manually).What command can be run manually.(SYNTAX) ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In the case of tape it is exactly the same, aparat from the fragments of the tape are not deleted.  They are simply overwritten by the next backup.

I suspect the command Bob was referring to was:

bpimage -cleanup -allclients

Marianne, could you lock this thread, questions have been answered.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I believe your questions were answered in your previous 2 posts:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/query-imp

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/image-cleanup-imp

As well as in your post that you have referenced above. 

bpexpdate syntax is very well documented in NBU commands manual:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182 

zoan_nbu
Level 4

These are not my posts.

Please reply if anybody has any solution.Please provide the answer marianne if u have any.It is a req

Marianne

Please read through all of those links.

Just weird that the type of queries are identical? 
I believe that all of those user names belong to the same person.

zoan_nbu
Level 4

I have read.

If u can reply to my below 2 query,I will be vey thankful to u mam.Please.

1.what happens in case of Tape here?

2. in above paragraph below is the state ment :

"bpexpdate will detect that the image has past it's expiration time (or can be run manually).What command can be run manually.(SYNTAX) ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In the case of tape it is exactly the same, aparat from the fragments of the tape are not deleted.  They are simply overwritten by the next backup.

I suspect the command Bob was referring to was:

bpimage -cleanup -allclients

Marianne, could you lock this thread, questions have been answered.

Marianne

Your questions have been answered over and over and over in the previous discussions.

bpexpdate syntax can be found in Commands manual. (as well as hundreds of other forum threads)