cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.6 and SLP creation

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

I created a SLP Duplication policy, but unable to figure out how to connect this the a NBU policy.  I have read the documentation, but I am a giant question mark [?].

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

One you've created the SLP you set the Storage Unit in the policy to the SLP rather than a "normal" storage unit. Your backup images will then be under SLP control when the policy runs.

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There is a default time limit for when the duplication will run - if you want to adjust it you can add a LIFECYLE_PARAMETERS file to NetBackup to speed things up during testing - see this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34797

The MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB is the one that controls it - note that is you are using 7.5 or above you need to add an equals sign - so for testing you can make it run any duplication within 5 minutes by adding the following to the file:

MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 5

This goes on the Master only and is in the \netbackup\db\config\ directory - it needs a bpdown / bpup to register the new settings

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

Dont forget that once your issue is solved you can close the thread off using the "Mark as solution" option - this helps others searching for a similar issue in the future - thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

See you are on NetBackup 7.6. From 7.6 the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS settings is now in the database, therefore to change the settings follow this Technote:

SLP Parameters properties in the NetBackup Administration Console

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO87102

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

One you've created the SLP you set the Storage Unit in the policy to the SLP rather than a "normal" storage unit. Your backup images will then be under SLP control when the policy runs.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Once you have created the SLP it should appear on the attributes tab of the policy in the drop down box for the "Policy Storage"

Do bear in mind if you want to set different retentions for Daily / Weekly / Monthly backups then you will need an SLP for each

You then set the attributes tab to use the one but override the Storage Unit in the other schedules to suit

Hope this helps

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

I added the SLP as a storage unit to my test policy and saw where "Retention Determined by SLP".  I ran the backup, but the duplication step did not execute.  Any suggestions?

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

After a *LONG* delay, the Duplication step worked - whew...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

There is a default time limit for when the duplication will run - if you want to adjust it you can add a LIFECYLE_PARAMETERS file to NetBackup to speed things up during testing - see this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34797

The MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB is the one that controls it - note that is you are using 7.5 or above you need to add an equals sign - so for testing you can make it run any duplication within 5 minutes by adding the following to the file:

MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 5

This goes on the Master only and is in the \netbackup\db\config\ directory - it needs a bpdown / bpup to register the new settings

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

Dont forget that once your issue is solved you can close the thread off using the "Mark as solution" option - this helps others searching for a similar issue in the future - thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

See you are on NetBackup 7.6. From 7.6 the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS settings is now in the database, therefore to change the settings follow this Technote:

SLP Parameters properties in the NetBackup Administration Console

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO87102

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Good spot revaroo! - must get used to 7.6!