cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.6 blat not send mail

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hy all,

I´m having problem with configuration of blat to send email notification, in command line it running ok, but policies job does not sending message.

Anybody help me?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You should really review the entire note that I posted, it has got the answers to all your questions.

If you put it on the master it only send for failed jobs, it you put it on clients it sends for all jobs.

If this does not meet your requirment I would suggest installing opscenter and using the alerts are report from it to send the notifications.

From the note,.......

III. Configure NetBackup to use email notification

To allow a master server to send emails for all failed client backups that end with a non-zero status, do the following:

1. Open the NetBackup Administration Console

2. Open the Host Properties for the master server and go to the Global Attributes tab

3. At the bottom of this page, enter the email address for the NetBackup administrator in the field called Administrator e-mail address: (separate multiple entries with commas)

To allow a specific client to send emails for all successful and failed jobs, do the following:

2. Open the Host Properties for the Client and go to the Universal Settings tab

3. Under the Administrator section of this page, enter the email address for the NetBackup administrator in the field called Client Administrator's e-mail (separate multiple entries with commas)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

EV-_H9E
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello, how are you!
verify that followed all the steps as link,

ttps://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH24110.html

Hug

Everton

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Thanks Everton, 

I already check this, many times, and reconfigured it, but no success, in command line it running ok, but at the end of job nothing happend in email...

The email address in global attributes of master server it´s ok, too.

D_Flood
Level 6

I've had the same trouble due to the way our scheduler processes scripts (it doesn't honor the PATH variable for one thing).  What I finally ended up doing is installing BLAT in the normal places and also a copy in a directory near the scripts directory.  Then I hardcoded the path to that copy in the script and it all worked.  The normaly installed copy is there to handle changes (from the command line) of the parms stored in the registry and that's about it.

Doing this way also gets around the "Windows is hiding that 32 bit functionality in favor of 64 bit" problems also...

RiaanBadenhorst

Can you run nbmail.cmd and pass it %1 %2 %3 etc and it works? Or are you referring to blat working from cli?

EV-_H9E
Level 3
Partner Accredited

You are using the Server send e-mail or client sends mail, try switching to test.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

I was refering to blat cli.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Nothing happen with server/client change... I´m using server send email.

RiaanBadenhorst

Blat working doesn't mean nbmail.cmd is working.

Configuring

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH24110.html

Troubleshooting.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH24513.html

Troubleshooting blat:
The later versions of blat (from version 1.82 onwards) use "profiles". The idea is that a user or server and other settings for the mail system are configured in a profile.  Then, this is specified when using the command. Refer to TechNote 244258, found below, in the Related Documents section.

So an appropriate change in nbmail.cmd would be to change the blat line as follows:
@blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -p NetBackup -q
where NetBackup is a profile created in Blat.

When testing blat, remove the -q switch and pipe the output to a file; the above line can be replaced with:
@echo:Testing %1 ,%2 ,%3 >>C:\Testing.txt
<blat> %3 -s %2 -t %1 -p NetBackup>>c:\Testing.txt *** Note the emission of -q switch ***
When testing nbmail.cmd from the command line, it is helpful to use the same account that NetBackup client service is using.  This will help highlight any account permission issues that may stop the process from working.

SujayDesai
Level 3
Employee

Kindly perform below steps properly in nbmail.cmd file under netbackup\bin\ directory:-

Replace "WARTHOG" with the name of the email server. An example of how this line should now appear is (please note the change of parameters for newer versions of BLAT):

Example on NetBackup 6.x and 7.x systems:

@IF "%~4"=="" (

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i NetBackup -server emailserver.company.com -q

) ELSE (

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i NetBackup -server emailserver.company.com -q -attach %4

)

Example for blat version 2.6+:

@IF "%~4"=="" (

blat %3 -s %2 -to %1 -server emailserver.company.com -q

) ELSE (

blat %3 -s %2 -to %1 -server emailserver.company.com -q -attach %4

)

and at the bottom of the file:

@IF "%~4"=="" (

blat %TEMP%\nbmail.tmp -subject %2 -to %1 -server emailserver.company.com -q

) ELSE (

blat %TEMP%\nbmail.tmp -subject %2 -to %1 -server emailserver.company.com -q -attach %4

)

@REM -

Additionally, it is good practice to replace any instances of "NetBackup" with a valid email address for 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x,and 7.x for example:

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i admin@acme.com -server emailserver.company.com -q

This email address will appear in the "From:" field in the email.  The reason for this is that some email servers may not process the mail if it is from "NetBackup" as opposed to a valid email address.

Note:- kindly check have edited entries which are at bottom of the file and also take care that nothing else should be changed in script.

Once this is done kindly follow below technote:-

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64984

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Riaan, I´d really thank you for your post, but I think I did it some times, but in some detail I´m losing me.

Could you check my attached nbmail and job_details to help me?

Thanks... 

EV-_H9E
Level 3
Partner Accredited

As you said from the command line runs the tests, it appears that lack the configuration Netbackup, see this link if it helps.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH64984.html

RiaanBadenhorst

Oi,

You need to edit the nbmail.cmd so that its looks like this

@IF "%~4"=="" (

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i NetBackup -server emailserver.company.com -q

) ELSE (

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i NetBackup -server emailserver.company.com -q -attach %4

)

NOT

@IF "%~4"=="" (

@blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i BackupAdministrator@unileaf.local -server smtpserver.unileaf.com.br -q
@) ELSE (
@blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i BackupAdministrator@unileaf.local -server smtpserver.unileaf.com.br -q -attach %4
@)

Remove the extra @

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hi Riaan, it´s running now, but only for failed jobs, my success jobs doesn´t sending email.

I put email address in Global Attributes on master server too and client, but nothig email from success jobs.

I need to put nbmail in client too?

Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You should really review the entire note that I posted, it has got the answers to all your questions.

If you put it on the master it only send for failed jobs, it you put it on clients it sends for all jobs.

If this does not meet your requirment I would suggest installing opscenter and using the alerts are report from it to send the notifications.

From the note,.......

III. Configure NetBackup to use email notification

To allow a master server to send emails for all failed client backups that end with a non-zero status, do the following:

2. Open the Host Properties for the master server and go to the Global Attributes tab

3. At the bottom of this page, enter the email address for the NetBackup administrator in the field called Administrator e-mail address: (separate multiple entries with commas)

To allow a specific client to send emails for all successful and failed jobs, do the following:

2. Open the Host Properties for the Client and go to the Universal Settings tab

3. Under the Administrator section of this page, enter the email address for the NetBackup administrator in the field called Client Administrator's e-mail (separate multiple entries with commas)

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Thanks you Riaan, and all other guys for your comments...

Best regards...