cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.6 is backing up Active & Passive DB's

BirtyB
Level 4

Hi all, we have a 2 node DAG cluster.  MBX-1 has 6 active DB's and 6 x Passive DB's.  MBX-2 is the same.  I want to backup only the passive DB's on each server however the it would appear that both active and passive DB's are being backed up.  We are using 7.6.1.  Policy is vmware with Exchange application protection enabled.  Both MBX-1 & MBX-2 are targeted in the policy.

Coming from HP Data Protector we used to target the DAG directly instead of the MBX servers.  Do we need to do a similar thing with NBU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BirtyB
Level 4

All sorted.  I found an article / forum post where is said that you can't target either active or passive DB's when using a vmware policy, it will backup the entire vm regardless.  So I have changed our Exchange topology so that all active DB's reside on MBX-1 and all passive DB's are on MBX-2.  My vmware Exchange DAG policy now only backs up MBX-2.  I'm also using the Reg entry for passive DB protection.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Faridyasin
Level 3

Dear Could be possible to clarify the following .

Incase of Exchange DAG backup failed the log files will be not clear as I know.
let say 3 days logs left in the drive due to failure backup so successful backup only possible when first delete 3 days logs manually  ?
if backup successfully in 4th days the all past log also will clear or only day of running backup logs will clear ?

let me know for further clarification

Regards,

Hussain

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@BirtyB - I would have thought that a full VM backup is a complete VM backup, whether or not you choose to integrate MS Exchange application protection.  I would expect that if you want to target passive DBs only, then you would need to use an MS Exchange policy type.

@Faridyasin (Hussain) - are you both workign on the same issue, or is your question something else entirely?  And I'm not sure I'd be looking at manually deleting transaction logs - this does not sound like a good idea to me, to delete transaction logs and not have a backup.  I think you need to re-think what it is you want to achieve.  In my experience it is an MS Exchange backup (be it VMware type policy with MS Exchange protection) policy type, or MS Exchange policy type, backup jiob which backs-up and then truncates the transaction logs.

@Forum admins - if Faridyasin's question is re a different issue, could someone move his post to a new question - and split my comments - and delete this comment?  Thanks.

BirtyB
Level 4

All sorted.  I found an article / forum post where is said that you can't target either active or passive DB's when using a vmware policy, it will backup the entire vm regardless.  So I have changed our Exchange topology so that all active DB's reside on MBX-1 and all passive DB's are on MBX-2.  My vmware Exchange DAG policy now only backs up MBX-2.  I'm also using the Reg entry for passive DB protection.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi BirtyB - can you share the link with us, please?  Thanks.