cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7 Capacity License Options - What's included?

Dave_Lloyd_2
Level 2

I've done a search across the forums but can't seem to find the answer so I figured I'd post.

I'd like to know what's included in the the NBU 7 Capacity based license - base.  From what I can tell, it has pretty much everything (SSO, SAN media server, Virtual Tape option, BMR etc etc - these get listed as features when adding the key to master)

So then I'd like to know what the "Deduplication option Add-on" provides?  I've tried adding the key to my NBU master and it says "Failed to add the key.  License does not match platform/OS type". 

the real key query for me is:  do I need this deduplication add-on for me to use a VTL that has built-in de-dupe functionality?  Given the error noted I'm inclined to think not and I've been sold it incorrectly.  When I register the kety on the license portal I get the option to download Netbackup Puredisk - this is a separate product entirely right?

thanks
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
The capacity based license gives you everything in NetBackup, without deduplication.  Dedupe is an option on top of the base NBU capacity license.

With the capacity based license, you get Enterprise Disk functionality, so you are covered to use your VTL with dedupe.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
The capacity based license gives you everything in NetBackup, without deduplication.  Dedupe is an option on top of the base NBU capacity license.

With the capacity based license, you get Enterprise Disk functionality, so you are covered to use your VTL with dedupe.

Dave_Lloyd_2
Level 2
Thanks teiva-boy,

you confirmed my suspicion and I've also now had a response from our account rep that backs this up.  the dedupe add-on is for Puredisk and is not required for VTL.

cheers
Dave

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3
There is also Puredisk like dedupe built into the core NetBackup code, so you can (and I do) use the dedupe option on a standard NBU environment. I am surprise you got the error message you did. 

It was an NBU 7 server?

kenrblan
Level 3
When I was building an NBU7 test environment with our new license keys, I got that error when trying to add the dedupe license. I found out that you have to register the serial number associated with the license. Once you do that, Symantec provides a different key that actually works. It was very weird and non-intuitive.

Ken