cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 8.1 and SQL 2016/Server 2016 not backing up.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Just configured a sql 2016 and server 2016 setup and I am unable to get a backup to complete for this setup.  After setting up "built in\administrators" with sysadmin rights NBU connects to the database and queus up the jobs but they just hang at connecting and never do anything until I cancel them.

When looking at the services on the SQL server i see bpcd.exe, bpinetd.exe and dbbackex start but in the sql logs i never see anything getting registered until i cancel the jobs.

Am i missing something that pertains to 2016?  We have 8, 2012/2014 sql servers setup exactly the same and they are all running fine under 8.1.

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have bpcd and dbclient logs on the SQL client?
(I would want to see level 3 logs. Our Veritas colleagues will ask for level 5.)

This is where I would start with troubleshooting.

From a SQL point of view - Event Viewer Application log, SQL Errorlog and VDI logs.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

filesystem backup is working?

No typos in "Host\Instance" specification?

Can you connect to the instance from NetBackup SQL Agent  interface on the client?

Regards

Michal

traghav86
Level 5

Hi Stanley 

make sure service account must be part of sysadmin rights.

if you using sql intelligent policy please register FQDN and try the backup.

Rahul

Marianne
@Stanleyj
Have you seen attempts to help?

Im very sorry for the late response and I truly do appreciate everyones help but "misteriously" it all seems to have started working.

I contacted support and worked with them for about 4 hours the other day confirming we didnt have any type of name resolution issues because he narrowed down the issue to the bpkar service was not starting correctly.  In a desperate attempt to get the jobs working i decided to try and roll back the client to 8.0 which i quickly found out will no longer connect to an 8.1 master once a certificate has been assigned.  Im sure that fixable but I decided to just try and figure out the 8.1 issue so i reinstalled the 8.1 client, reissued a new token and then the mystery of it came into play.  All the sudden the backups started working.

I had two systems doing this.  I tried a reinstall of 8.1 and that didnt work.  So i took a stab at doing the 8.0 and then uninstalling and going to 8.1 and low and behold that worked as well.  

Even though all is now working I really really hate situations like this because even support didnt know how to explain this other than something with a possible corrupt file.

When you installed 8.1 on the client, did you uninstall NetBackup and re-install it? If so, then you would have needed to tell the NetBackup master to generate a reissue token. You would have received a message during the client installation telling you that. This is a security issue. Once the master server has recorded a host id for your client, it won't authenticate another client installation purporting to be that same client.

Proposition for why it worked after reverting the client to 8.0:
If your problem on the first 8.1 client installation had to do with certificates and reissue tokens, then you solved it (the hard way) when you made the 8.0 client work. To do that, you had to tell the master server to forget about the client and start over. From there, when you upgraded the client to 8.1, the master server was happy to authenticate it and issue it a certificate.